How Can I Keep A Second Tier From Moving During Transport?

Decorating By CarolLee Updated 28 Feb 2011 , 5:38pm by CWR41

CarolLee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolLee Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 12:27pm
post #1 of 4

Does everyone use the center dowel rod through every tiered cake they make or does anyone know of a method to keep the second tier in place without one? I have a small cake coming up 10" and 8" and it'll be delivered quite a distance away - plus the heat and humidity will be a factor. Any ideas?

3 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 12:36pm
post #2 of 4

The SPS system is meant for traveling with cakes. It has a little peg on the plate that the cake board goes on and keeps it form moving anywhere.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 12:50pm
post #3 of 4

I can't say enough good things about the SPS!! I have a 1/4 mile - up hill - gravel with pot holes - driveway and the SPS makes it stable and secure!! I highly recommend this method!! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 5:38pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolLee

Does everyone use the center dowel rod through every tiered cake they make or does anyone know of a method to keep the second tier in place without one?

There are other methods, but they don't necessarily keep the entire second tier in place--just the plate or board that it's on and possibly the bottom layer of the tier, so it leaves the top layer vulnerable to sliding off. At least with the center dowel skewered through all (or both), it helps to prevent possible sliding or separation of the layers under normal circumstances. Is there a reason you don't want to use a center dowel? (You could transport the tiers separated, if you aren't considering using one. If transporting stacked, you might consider inserting a few skewers into the top tier if there's a concern with slippage between layers.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%