Couple Of Questions

Decorating By rntyler Updated 1 Mar 2011 , 11:26pm by CWR41

rntyler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rntyler Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 10:38am
post #1 of 5

I recently did a cake that was buttercream and for some reason the icing just would not cover on the sides what did I do wrong?
How do you keep mmf from cracking when its on a cake if I leave the cake it cracks but everyone says do not put it in the fridge it will ruin the decoration
What are some crusting icing?
how do you get a twotone icing effect?
Can you do just about any cake you would normally do with fondant with buttercream if so what is the trick to making ribbons and things?
Sorry I'm full of questions today any advice anyone can give would be appreciated.

4 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 6:08pm
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by rntyler

I recently did a cake that was buttercream and for some reason the icing just would not cover on the sides what did I do wrong?

You might want to start 5 separate threads with 1 question each to get more answers... one person may not know the answers to all.

I'll try to help with #1... If "would not cover" means that you can see the cake through the icing, you didn't use enough. Apply a lot--a thick layer and remove the excess as you smooth. If you scrape off too much and can see through to the cake, keep applying more to those areas, and smooth again.

If "would not cover" means that the icing simply wouldn't stick to the cake, it's too stiff--add more liquid for a creamier consistency.

rntyler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rntyler Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 9:29pm
post #3 of 5

Thank-you

NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 9:43pm
post #4 of 5

Honestly, my best advice is to go to go to you tube and start watching some basic videos on how to cover a cake. You will pick up some great ideas there and probably some recipes.
Two tone icing is done by painting the pastry bag. You use a paint brush (that is new), dip into your color, and paint a stripe up the bag. Then add your frosting and pipe your border or whatever you are doing. You can see that in my orange cupcakes in my photos.
I hope this has helped you

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 11:26pm
post #5 of 5

I'll offer more help with #4...

Quote:

how do you get a twotone icing effect?

brush striping, spatula striping (or use liquid color):
http://www.wilton.com/decorating/icing/coloring-icing.cfm
and
plug method (use two plugs):
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-588591.html
and
icing striper pastry bags:
http://cakedeco.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_prod.html?p_prodid=7585&p_catid=210&page=1

and #5...

Quote:

Can you do just about any cake you would normally do with fondant with buttercream if so what is the trick to making ribbons and things?

Yes just about, but fondant would normally look more pristine. You can pipe buttercream ribbons using any flat tip like the rose tip or smooth side of the basketweave tip, but not 3D stand up bows (for example) with buttercream. What other "things" would you like to make with BC?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%