Apple Between Layer

Baking By frolly Updated 28 Feb 2011 , 8:11pm by TexasSugar

frolly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frolly Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 9:42am
post #1 of 12

Hallo! I'm quite new (and Italian so please forgive me for my mistakes) and maybe my question is a bit stupid, but..
I have to make my own wedding cake. I've seen a 3 tier cake with real green apples between each tier. (base cake- apple (no pillar or similar only apple - second tier - again apple - last tier) Now I'm wondering, how can I prevent apple from breaking my cakes and plop into them once I stack my 3 tiers cake??
Thanks in advance

11 replies
mmmmmmmmcake1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmmmmmmmcake1954 Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 10:07am
post #2 of 12

Hi frolly, do you have a picture or link to the cake that you need the advice on, maybe we might be able to work it out if we can see a picture.

mmmmmmmmcake1954 Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 10:20am
post #3 of 12

Hi Frolly, just another thought, if the cake in question has been made by a CC member and the picture is on the site, why not send her/him a PM and see if she will kindly give you some advice or instruction on how she/he made it. HTH

frolly Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 10:45am
post #4 of 12

this is the link of the photo:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_U56yhynHDXY/TSdq-BSE8QI/AAAAAAAACqE/5jQnsD1vL98/s1600/apple-wedding-cake.jpg

it's not by someone of CC, I'm sorry

mmmmmmmmcake1954 Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 11:01am
post #5 of 12

Frolly, personally I think that they must have put dowels into the cake tier below where each of the apples was to be placed, so that the apple did not sink into the cake below. If you have the each tier placed on a cake board of the same size and the fondant covers both the cake and the board. I found a cake similar on CC site, have a look at this and maybe you can PM them to ask. HTH.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1842626

frolly Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 11:11am
post #6 of 12

Thanks! I send her/him an e-mail, hope she will answer! In the meantime I accept any advice!!!!!!! What recipe to keep apple in place, ecc ecc

mmmmmmmmcake1954 Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 11:16am
post #7 of 12

Frolly, it might also be that the dowel also speared the apple to keep it in place!! icon_confused.gif Let me know how you get on. Good Luck thumbs_up.gif

frolly Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 11:21am
post #8 of 12

It is not dangerous to "create a hole" in the apple? I mean..the juice will not melt up the fondant??..The cake have to be TOTALLY ready the day before..

mmmmmmmmcake1954 Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 11:30am
post #9 of 12

No, it is not dangerous, but not really practical as the juice might discolour the fondant - sorry did not think of that icon_redface.gif Put the dowels underneath where the apples are to be placed, then use maybe use a small amount of royal icing under the apples, this should help to stick them in place so that they do not roll about, but not too much (so that it can not be seen). HTH thumbs_up.gif

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 3:16pm
post #10 of 12

Maybe the apples are fake, with a hole drilled through them to accommodate the pillars.

frolly Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 3:23pm
post #11 of 12

You mean like plastic apple???? yes..wonderful idea...it doesn't occur to me....this would solve all the problems.. Thanks icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 8:11pm
post #12 of 12

I think the fake apple would be the easiest way to go. I'd do something like Wilton does with thier globe pillars.

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/tiered-cakes/global-pillar-set.cfm

Either real or fake apples, it is more an illusion that the apples are holding up the cakes, there has to be some sort of doweling in there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%