Support For Wine Bottle Cake?

Decorating By napa Updated 1 Mar 2011 , 9:26am by napa

napa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
napa Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 9:30am
post #1 of 7

Hi,

Wondering if someone could help me please. I am very new to cake making so practising lots by making cakes for family. My sister has asked me to make a cake for her boyfriend and she saw some pictures on cake central of a wine bottle lying in a box type of cake that I am going to try. I am doing the cakes seperately - the wine bottle cake is carved and covered in fondant, then the box is basically a rectangle covered in fondant. I am then going to put the bottle on top of the box.

My question is do I need to put support in. Should I put the wine bottle cake on a cake card? Should I put dowels in the rectangular cake under the wine bottle? In terms of size, the bottle cake is exactly the same size as a real bottle, but in half lengthways! And the box underneath is about 1 inch bigger around the bottle and 2 inches high, with one layer of filling.

Thanks very much for any help!

6 replies
napa Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 11:45pm
post #2 of 7

Can anyone help please?

Thank you

yates77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yates77 Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 12:27am
post #3 of 7

I have done a wine crate/bottle cake. The crate/box was all cake and the bottle itself was gumpaste and I used a real bottle as a form. So the bottle itself was hollow and very light and I just placed it on the cake with no support. If you are going to do the bottle in cake as well I would put a cake board under the bottle cake in the same shape and to be on the safe side I would also put dowels in the box cake under the wine bottle for support.

hollys_hobby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollys_hobby Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 12:43am
post #4 of 7

I made a wine crate cake, and made my bottle out of rice krispie treats. You can view it in my photos here.
Since your bottle isn't that big, you should be fine without support, it would basically be like a 3 layer cake. But, if you want to, you can put it on a cardboard cut to size, and put a few dowels in the cake below.

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 12:58am
post #5 of 7

yates77, an i ask a stupid question, u said u used a real bottle for the form, did u do it half at a time cant figur out how u got the bottle out once the gumpast harden

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 12:59am
post #6 of 7

To be safe, for any cake that is more than 4 - 6" you should always use some sort of support. Cake board and bubble tea straws, or whatever you normally use. icon_smile.gif

napa Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 9:26am
post #7 of 7

Thank you very much for all the advice.

Hollys_hobby your cake is lovely, I hope mine is even half way as good!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%