Farmers Market

Business By sweet-n-sassy Updated 28 Feb 2011 , 8:40pm by elliespartycake

sweet-n-sassy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet-n-sassy Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 7:27am
post #1 of 3

So I'm thinking about selling baked goods at my local farmers market but i'm not really sure how to get started. I'm sure there are different rules for each state, but generally do you have to have a health inspection? Are there any fees? What are your best sellers? Any other advice would be appreciated! ~Thanks

2 replies
FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 8:39am
post #2 of 3

Hello!

This is a very hard question to answer without telling us your state, city, and weather you currently run a legal kitchen. If you are in CA, I'd say you have very little chance just jumping in since you have to cook from a commercial kitchen, you have to be licensed, you food has to meet very strict state farmer's market guidelines (type), you have to have the proper packaging and there are massive waiting lists depending on your area.

Your best bet is to google.

Good luck,

Jennifer

elliespartycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 8:40pm
post #3 of 3

Check with who ever it is that is in charge of your local market. They will know what the requirements are and if there is space available. Many markets restrict the number of vendors selling a particular type of item. For instance they might not want another baker whose specialty is cookies if they already have 3 cookie sellers.

If you can't find out who runs the market, check with a local farmer or other vendor that you know attends that market.

Good luck, it can be a lot of fun and great exposure for your business.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%