Just Wondering How You Guys Do This...

Decorating By delicity Updated 1 Mar 2011 , 12:27am by mimido

delicity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delicity Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 3:36am
post #1 of 13

how do you get the cakes already with the filling, ready for fondant.? I always have to go back to the sides of the cake with a knife and make it even. I understang we all have to level the top, but in my case I always have to retouch the sides and it's time consuming. Am I doing something wrong in the baking and filling process or that is the way it is. Is there any way to get perfect straigh and even sides?
Thanks for sharing how do you guys do it.

12 replies
Bubbl3h3ad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bubbl3h3ad Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 3:54am
post #2 of 13

I have that problem too but i never thought about asking, I just assumed everyone had it. I see people on cakes show all the time trimming the sides of their cakes. I hope someone answers, I would like to know too.

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 4:02am
post #3 of 13

When you are adding the filling are you making a icing dam? This will keep your cake from bulging on the sides.

Here's a link to a video & directions if you need them.
http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/filling-cake-layers.cfm

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 4:17am
post #4 of 13

the videos not working

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 4:28am
post #5 of 13

I too use an icing dam. Make the dam with stiffened buttercream. It makes a huge difference.

platinumlady Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 4:36am
post #6 of 13

sorry about that....Here's a youtube video it covers
how to Tort, Level and Fill a Cake

There's not one on youtube with just the torting..Hope this helps

Bubbl3h3ad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bubbl3h3ad Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 5:29am
post #7 of 13

Oh I'm sorry, I misunderstood. I thought OP meant that she had to trim the sides of the cake so that it was straight down. Sorry bout that.

Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 6:12am
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbl3h3ad

Oh I'm sorry, I misunderstood. I thought OP meant that she had to trim the sides of the cake so that it was straight down. Sorry bout that.

If you mean the cake itself, your pans' sides may not be straight up and down...

delicity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delicity Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 11:56pm
post #9 of 13

Thank you all for replying. I do do the BC damp on my cakes. As far as the cake pans, the most of my pans are from Wilton. But no matter what,I always have to go back with the knife to work on the sides of the cakes. It will be great if somebody can come out with a technique to avoid that. It's time consuming...at least for me... Any other ideas?????

platinumlady Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 12:02am
post #10 of 13

Delicity try not putting as much filling in ... I use this method & haven't had that issue since I started using the icing dam....also I don't do the icing dam all the way out to the edge of the cake. I come in some on the cake so if it has to spread it does without leaving a bulge. Hope that Helps

PoodleDoodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PoodleDoodle Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 12:05am
post #11 of 13

Try measuring your batter to ensure you have the exact same amount in each pan. I also let me cake cool in the pan. Also, if your pans fit inside each other, the sides are not straight.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 12:19am
post #12 of 13

OP, your problem is the pans. W pans are notorious for not having straight sides. They are also different depths. Do your same diameter pans nest inside of each other?

mimido Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mimido Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 12:27am
post #13 of 13

I agree with leah_s . I had the same problem with my cake layers comming out 2 different sizes until I whiched from wilton pans to magic line. No problems since.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%