Fondant Covered Cake Board - Advice Needed!

Decorating By ShandraB Updated 28 Feb 2011 , 11:30pm by Evoir

ShandraB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShandraB Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 1:44am
post #1 of 7

I am doing two wedding cakes (for the same wedding) and the bride has requested that I cover the cake boards with fondant and trim with ribbon.
I understand the fundamentals of covering a cake board with fondant, but have not done the ribbon edge before. I am wondering if I should cover the entire board ahead of time and let dry before I apply the ribbon. Any suggestions? If I do it ahead and let it dry, will it be prone to cracking when I deliver the cakes?

Also, I have seen some pretty fondant covered boards with designs pressed into the edge as decoration. Any suggestions on how to do that would be great!

6 replies
graciesj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
graciesj Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 6:43pm
post #2 of 7

Hi I did my Mickey mouse cake board covered in red fondant. and unfortunately I had to do it right before placing the cake on it. I'm sure if you were to do it the day prior you should be okay. As long as it's covered well in plastic wrap so it wont dry out. hope this helpsicon_smile.gif

ShandraB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShandraB Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 11:15pm
post #3 of 7

Have you ever attached a ribbon to the edge of the board? Any tips on how to do that?

graciesj Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 11:19pm
post #4 of 7

nop, but i'd imagine you would attach it with glue. y not google it or search u-tube for it?

graciesj Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 11:22pm
post #5 of 7

or go to the forum page here on cc and look under "hundreds of tutorials" and you'll finds many helpful links.icon_smile.gif

Moondance Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moondance Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 11:26pm
post #6 of 7

Sandra, Ice your cake board as far in advance as you can - it will be nice and hard for when you put your cake on it. Just roll out your fondant, damp the cake board with boiled cooled water then lay the fondant over and smooth - I use a cake smoother. Trim the excess off neatly with a sharp knife. Store it flat - it won't crack.

Attach the ribbon (15mm is the best width) either with glue or double sided sticky tape. make sure the join will be at the back oft he cake...keep the join neat!

If you look at the pink christening cake in my photos, I have used a Patchwork Cutter toy stamp to decorate the edge of the board - you have to do it whilst it's soft.

good luck

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 11:30pm
post #7 of 7

I always start on my fondant boards too late to get them drying properly, so I ALWAYS now add a bit of tylose to the fondant and hey presto - its dry overnight!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%