How To Attached Fondant Decorations

Decorating By heatherangel26 Updated 28 Feb 2011 , 6:14pm by cake_whisperer

heatherangel26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heatherangel26 Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 1:33am
post #1 of 8

I'm making my first fondant covered cake tomorrow....a slot machine cake for my mom's 60th birthday. I was just wondering what is the best way to attached fondant decorations to the fondant covered cake? I've read water or VODKA??
Also, once it is completely decorated is it ok to refrigerate it?
Thanks for any info!

7 replies
mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 1:55am
post #2 of 8

u can also use piping gel, and i put them in the fridge. all the time with no problems. but some say they don`t

Sweetandlopez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetandlopez Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 2:12am
post #3 of 8

They say not to use water but I've never had a problem with it. My favorite thing to use however is Wilton's fondant writer. It's basically liquid fondant in a little squeeze bottle. It doesn't take long to dry and it comes in different colors. I would not refrigerate the cake though. It's not the temperature, it's the moisture I think. I've seen fondant soften from that.

cake_whisperer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_whisperer Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 2:44am
post #4 of 8

Water is perfectly fine! ...and cakes should be refridgerated unless you are working on them (unless you have a stable buttercream/frosting) ...just let the cake come to temperature before consuming icon_smile.gif I just made a slot machine cake last weekend actually- Good luck!

heatherangel26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heatherangel26 Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 3:21am
post #5 of 8

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated!! Kathrynn, any other tips for this cake? Your cakes are beautiful and i'm just starting out so any pointers would be greatly appreciated!! I didnt see any pics of ur slot cake. Thank you!

corpsequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
corpsequeen Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 6:02am
post #6 of 8

I've always used water with no problems! Just make sure you don't use too much or your pieces can slide around. Remember: a little goes a long way!

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 5:41pm
post #7 of 8

Same here water works perfectly fine with me lol cheaper icon_smile.gif

cake_whisperer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_whisperer Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 6:14pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherangel26

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated!! Kathrynn, any other tips for this cake? Your cakes are beautiful and i'm just starting out so any pointers would be greatly appreciated!! I didnt see any pics of ur slot cake. Thank you!

Thank you so much! ...I would love to share some tips- do you have any specific questions? ...I'm new to forums and I never realized how difficult it is to describe techniques in writing! icon_eek.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%