Cuisinart 5.5 Or 7 Quart?

Decorating By Minstrelmiss Updated 18 Mar 2011 , 7:13pm by Gerle

Minstrelmiss Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 6:22pm
post #1 of 17

Hello Lovely cake ladies and gents icon_smile.gif

I resently won a contest, landing me a $500 gift certiciate to my choice of stores. I know I will be getting myself a Cuisinart mixer but am torn between the 5.5 quart and the 7 quart.

Please ignore the size difference for a moment, I would love to know if any of you have any insight as to the performance differences between the mixers. Is there a big difference between the 1000wts and 800wts? Any defects more prevelent in one model over the other?

I defer to your excellent judgement. Thank you! icon_biggrin.gif

16 replies
platinumlady Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 6:52pm
post #2 of 17

Great Question...I've been looking into and wondering about that. Only I've been looking at KitchenAid Mixers...Do you know the difference between the two?

I will be following this post closely ... Thanks for the question

Minstrelmiss Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 9:23pm
post #3 of 17

There are several great posts about the merits between Kitchenaid and Cuisinart, that's what lead me to decide on Cuisinart. I would like to know though about people's thoughts on my question...

cab333 Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 9:59pm
post #4 of 17

$500 - wow! Congrats!! You are spending your gift certificate exactly how I would....

imagenthatnj Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 10:09pm
post #5 of 17

I have both. There are no defects on any of the two. I'm only a hobby baker but I research my stuff to First I got a 7 qt, then I sent a 5.5 qt to my sister (in another country), then I got myself a 5.5 qt to leave at my aunt's house when I go visit and want to bake with the kids there.

I can't make a double batch of IMBC on the 5.5 qt like I do on the 7 qt. (it overflows) but I don't notice much difference on power or speed. I've used both to make bread successfully, too. My sister has a small cake business and she uses her 5.5 qt all the time.

I got the 7 qt about 3 years ago, the 5.5 qt a few months ago. My sister has been using hers for 2 years, no problems.

Minstrelmiss Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 10:16pm
post #6 of 17

Wonderfully helpful, thank you imaginethatnj. I can't see spending more of my $500. icon_biggrin.gif

Cab333-Thanks! I was thrilled. I had just finished a lovely book called something like "How my mother raise ten kids on twenty-five words or less"

It was about a woman who entered contests in the 1950s to keep her family afloat with her prize winnings. I loved it, cried at the end. I was so inspired! The NEXT day our local paper was looking for jingles so I entered. (I'm a music teacher too so I imagine that that helped.) I told my friends, you watch, I'll win. And I did icon_biggrin.gif

Cuisinart, here I come!

I would love to hear more responses from other satisfied owners of the 5.5 and 7 quart models. Thank you!

Minstrelmiss Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 6:02pm
post #7 of 17

Anyone else able to comment on their experience with the 5.5 vs 7.0?

karabeal Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 6:17pm
post #8 of 17

I have the 7 qt. I love, love, love it! I can make a double recipe of just about everything in it and that saves lots of time. I don't have any experience with the 5.5 qt, but I don't regret paying the extra amount for the larger one.

foodguy Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 6:21pm
post #9 of 17

I am a retired cake baker/cake decorator and now a hobby baker. I make cakes for family only now and bake a lot of bread. This past Christmas my wonderful wife gave me the 7 qt. Cuisinart and its a fantastic machine. I can do big batches of cake batter, buttercreme, and dough-mix up to 6 loaves. You wouldn't be sorry with the larger, in my opinion!

jewels710 Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 6:38pm
post #10 of 17

Oh that story was made into a movie too, I watched it a couple years ago. Good Movie. Ill see if I can find the name.

imagenthatnj Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 6:43pm
post #11 of 17

Minstrelmiss, will your choice of stores include Bed Bath & Beyond? I waited for a 20% off certificate and bought them there. I definitely think you should get the 7 qt. I'm a believer of always getting the best you can afford.

Minstrelmiss Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 6:49pm
post #12 of 17

Well, I was hoping to use my handy-dandy family owned restaurant supply store but they have not been willing to price their machines as competitive as BB&B. Also, BB&B is on back order for the 7 quart. I was hoping some of the answers I received would reassure me that i would not regret getting the smaller machine. However, BB&B is selling the 5.5 for $299-20%=$239. I would still have half of my prize to play with on other toys icon_razz.gif

1Cake-At-ATime Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 7:42pm
post #13 of 17

I have the 5.5qt and I like it, except for the noise. Its too loud (to me), but other than that, it was a great buy.

jewels710 Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 1:48am
post #14 of 17

The movie was... The Prize Winner of Defiance Ohio...Woody Harrelson & Julianne Moore...great movie, sorry it took so long, I forgot to write back! LOL

Jenn2179 Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 2:10am
post #15 of 17

I just got the 7 qt and love it. LOVE it. I also have a 6 qt kitchen aid and would trade that for another 7 qt cuisinart.

kathyw Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 5:34pm
post #16 of 17

I have both and LOVE both! lol I use the 5.5 qt most of the time and the 7 qt when I am doubling recipes.

Gerle Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 7:13pm
post #17 of 17

I can't speak for the 5.5 quart, but I know I love my 7 quart! You may not always need that larger bowl, but when you do, it's nice to know it's there. I know what you're saying about being able to purchase some other "toys" if you got the 5.5, but IMHO I think you're better of going for the bigger one now. As prices go up on things, you may not be able to afford it later if/when you decide you need the larger bowl, and right now it's almost a freebie for you. I, too, purchased mine through BB&B with the 20% off coupon.

Quote by @%username% on %date%