Using A Clay Extruder For One Long Border String...

Decorating By sumerae Updated 28 Feb 2011 , 5:12am by srkmilklady

sumerae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sumerae Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 4:28pm
post #1 of 25

So I bought the tool...how how do I use it? I want to make a long rope, the directions say to use short pieces but I don't want a bunch of pieces portioned together, how do I make it one long continuous piece?

24 replies
Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 4:45pm
post #2 of 25

Isn't that funny, I just bought one myself and thought the same thing! I am assuming you would use fondant or something similar? As I was looking at the tool I figured that I would use what ever amount it took to fill it and continue to add more fondant before I ran out, hoping that there would not be an indentation in the fondant. Haven't tried it yet but a small indentation may be an easy fix. Let me know how yours works. HTH

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 4:52pm
post #3 of 25

Which one is it?

sumerae Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 4:56pm
post #4 of 25
platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 5:01pm
post #5 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumerae

So I bought the tool...how how do I use it? I want to make a long rope, the directions say to use short pieces but I don't want a bunch of pieces portioned together, how do I make it one long continuous piece?

Which one did you buy? I have the green one with the twist lever on top & it allows me to make a long rope without breaking it into pieces

This is the one I use:
http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=16721&name=Makin's%20Ultimate%20Clay%20Extruder

sumerae Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 5:26pm
post #6 of 25

The one I bought has a plunger type deal.

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 5:44pm
post #7 of 25

Knead some shortening into your fondant for the gun. It needs to be pretty greasy feeling in your hands to come out smooth. Pack it into the tube of the gun and turn the handle/press the trigger/etc to make the fondant come out. If it looks rough, you need more shortening.

Depending on the capacity of your clay gun, you may need to piece your border rope. The larger the diameter of the hole in the die, the shorter your final rope will be. A smaller hole will give a longer, thinner rope.

HTH
Kristy

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 6:00pm
post #8 of 25

As I extrude the fondant, if I need a longer rope I keep adding more fondant in the extruder, then it makes a continuous rope.

KJ62798 Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 6:06pm
post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyscakes

As I extrude the fondant, if I need a longer rope I keep adding more fondant in the extruder, then it makes a continuous rope.

Does your gun load from the back? Mine loads from the front where the die is so I can't add more fondant w/o removing the cap & die.

Kristy

sumerae Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 6:08pm
post #10 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ62798

Quote:

Does your gun load from the back? Mine loads from the front where the die is so I can't add more fondant w/o removing the cap & die.

Kristy

It looks like the one I bought loads from the back.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 6:28pm
post #11 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ62798

Quote:

Kristy

It looks like the one I bought loads from the back.

What brand did you buy? And where? I have the Makin's green extruder and find it a bit of a pain.

silverdragon997 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
silverdragon997 Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 6:33pm
post #12 of 25

I use this one:

http://www.michaels.com/Clay-Extruder-Set/gc1628,default,pd.html?cgid=products-generalcrafts-clayandtools&start=1

I have both of the other ones listed here too, but this one hurts my hand much, much less. It also can load from either the front or the back.

mysweetsugar75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mysweetsugar75 Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 6:33pm
post #13 of 25

If you are making a one color ROPE use the die that looks like a clover leaf, after you have a long portion twist into a rope. If you need to make longer...what I do is cut rope on a diagonal without mushing down (use sharp knife) repeat with additional rope and splice or miter together. I am pretty OCD about being meticulous when splicing and when I splice/miter several pieces it looks like one continuous piece.

silverdragon997 Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 6:34pm
post #14 of 25

I use this one:

http://www.michaels.com/Clay-Extruder-Set/gc1628,default,pd.html?cgid=products-generalcrafts-clayandtools&start=1

I have both of the other ones listed here too, but this one hurts my hand much, much less. It also can load from either the front or the back.

KJ62798 Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 6:44pm
post #15 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdragon997

I use this one:

I have this one but I didn't know you can load from the back. I will have to figure that out. I need some LONG ropes to go around the competition cake I'm working on.

Kristy

sumerae Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 7:05pm
post #16 of 25
Quote:

I use this one:

There were some posts on here a while back about this one, some complaints about it, so I decided against that one. I bought mine from.....eh....look further up in my posts, country kitchen link.

Maria925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria925 Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 7:16pm
post #17 of 25
Quote:

I use this one:

I JUST bought this one the other day and am getting ready to use it for the 1st time in a just a bit. I'm so excited to play with it icon_smile.gif

silverdragon997 Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 8:07pm
post #18 of 25

I just unscrew the part with the handle attached and then spin the part that screws on to the tube back down. Then reload the tube and put the top back on.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 8:21pm
post #19 of 25

You can't beat this for borders:

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=22055&name=Rope%20Set%201%20Mold%20by%20First%20Impressions

This is one of my favorite molds. And the way the ropes are set up, you can easily piece it together without being able to tell where you do it (although I don't always take the time like I should to do it that way).

I just used this mold for the borders on my most recent cake (a green and yellow tiered one). I LOVE LOVE this mold.

mysweetsugar75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mysweetsugar75 Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 8:48pm
post #20 of 25

Edna De la Cruz has a you tube video on the extruder, I think she is great! she has numerous you tube videos. Also, check out her website, she is very good at explaining things. Here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SenLtQqNxRo&feature=related

If the link doesn't work go to you tube and type in clay extruder to find her video

Crazboutcakes Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 4:53am
post #21 of 25
Quote:

I use this one:

this is the one I just got, how easy it to use?

silverdragon997 Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 4:56am
post #22 of 25

Pretty easy. I always Crisco the tube and add some to the fondant to make sure that nothing sticks and it comes out smoothly.

Crazboutcakes Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 4:59am
post #23 of 25

[quote="silverdragon997"]Pretty easy. I always Crisco the tube and add some to the fondant to make sure that nothing sticks and it comes out smoothly.[/quo
great, I am looking forward to using it, I had a50% coupon for Michael's so it makes me feel better that I got a great deal icon_biggrin.gif

MelissaMay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelissaMay Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 5:06am
post #24 of 25

I recently went through this same process and ended up with the green
m a k i n s extruder. I just grease up the extruder barrell and condition the fondant and it works like a charm. I can't believe I've gone so long without this tool. It has so many uses!

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 5:12am
post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazboutcakes

Quote:

I use this one:

this is the one I just got, how easy it to use?

This is the same one I have and I love it. It is so easy to use. It has a "crank" handle if you know what I mean? And like silverdragon997 said, you can load it from the top or bottom...just use enough shortening for the fondant to come out smoothly. Oh, I used the 50% coupon at Michael's too which made it a great deal!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%