Crumb Coat/cake Wash That Is Not Buttercream

Baking By cbrown1022 Updated 27 Feb 2011 , 4:25pm by emiyeric

cbrown1022 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cbrown1022 Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 3:02pm
post #1 of 3

I am looking for a cake wash aka crumb coat recipe to pour over my yellow cake before frosting with chocolate buttercream. I usually mix lemon juice and 10x sugar, letting it "crust" on the cake before frosting with vanilla buttercream. But, alas, my son wants chocolate buttercream for his 6 year bday party coming up. I thought of using cocoa liqueur, but didn't know if using a crumb coat that was alcohol based was a wise idea for 6 year olds. Coffee won't work for the kids either. Any suggestions???

Thanks,
Catherine

2 replies
sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 3:18pm
post #2 of 3

Does it have to pour? I just thin out whatever buttercream I'm using and crumb coat with a spatula. And now I use the icer tip and don't crumb coat at allicon_smile.gif

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 4:25pm
post #3 of 3

Oh my goodness, you must try ganache then! Especially for a chocolate cake! Just pour it over the cake when it's still thin and runny, and it works beautifully! Otherwise, you can wait until it's firmed up to the consistency of peanut butter and use it the same way you would use buttercream to crumbcoat a cake ... I personally like to do it when it's somewhere between the two consistencies, still runny enough to pour, but firm enough to give good edges icon_smile.gif. And you canalways flavor it with any Lorann flavors you like, so you can flavor it with coffee or hazelnut or anything along those lines, if that's what you were looking for! icon_smile.gif HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%