Buttercream With A Flour Base

Decorating By Noura80 Updated 28 Feb 2011 , 5:53am by Noura80

Noura80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Noura80 Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 9:29am
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone. Has anyone tried using buttercream icing that has cooked flour in it? I've had good sucess with it but it doesn't crust. and I use it when people would like the icing less sweet. However when I've used it with cocoa powder, its a disaster. Check the link below for an image of a cake that used flour based buttercream recipe with cocoa powder icon_sad.gif

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1950031

5 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 11:41am
post #2 of 6

I have used similar recipes before. I think it is way too soft to decorate with. I wouldn't do any more than borders with those recipes. I usually ice my cakes homestyle (just big fluffy swirls) when I use a recipe like that.

When you made it cocoa, when did you add the cocoa? I would add it with the flour so it can "cook" with the rest of the icing.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 12:51pm
post #3 of 6

What method of smoothing it did you use? I know sometimes when I have used the hot blade method ( for colored icing) it seemed that it would pull the color out of it, so this could be the problem. What about trying the recipe with chocolate instead of the cocoa it might make it a little more sturdy? I recently made one with white chocolate for cupcakes and it held up good to a swirl and it took the red coloring really well. I did the same as anniecahill suggested.
Oh one more thing how much flour do you use? The recipe that I have uses 5 tbsp of flour.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 5:11pm
post #4 of 6

I can't imagine adding the cocoa when you add the flour. The recipe I use has you combine the flour and milk and cook it until it's thick. Adding cocoa would just make it thicker and it would be tough to make sure everything is dissolved. Perhaps if you searched for your recipe online you'll find reviews and alterations?

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/173/WaldorfAstoria_Red_Velvet_Cake15483.shtml

Noura80 Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 5:47am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill

I have used similar recipes before. I think it is way too soft to decorate with. I wouldn't do any more than borders with those recipes. I usually ice my cakes homestyle (just big fluffy swirls) when I use a recipe like that.

When you made it cocoa, when did you add the cocoa? I would add it with the flour so it can "cook" with the rest of the icing.

I've added it while I was "creaming" the butter. Thanx for the tip. a question though, have you tried it with chocolate chunks after melting it and mixing it with the rest?

Noura80 Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 5:53am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeandpartygirl

What method of smoothing it did you use? I know sometimes when I have used the hot blade method ( for colored icing) it seemed that it would pull the color out of it, so this could be the problem. What about trying the recipe with chocolate instead of the cocoa it might make it a little more sturdy? I recently made one with white chocolate for cupcakes and it held up good to a swirl and it took the red coloring really well. I did the same as anniecahill suggested.
Oh one more thing how much flour do you use? The recipe that I have uses 5 tbsp of flour.

That's exactly what happened to me. The color of the chocolate started pulling away. my smoothing technique was only with a spatula dipped in hot water. maybe I should try melting some chocolate and using it instead of the cocoa powder.

I only use this recipe for icing my cake not with the decorations. If I pop my cake into the fridge after icing it it gets nice and stiff. But when I piped the decorations using royal icing (medium consistency) it "melted" into the buttercream. It was a complete disaster after staying 12-16 hours in a cold room with an airconditioner (where we live it's quite hot). I have no idea what went wrong.

here's the recipe that I use:

FLOUR ICING

5 T. flour
1 cup milk
2 sticks butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

In saucepan, mix flour and milk over medium heat until thickened. Let cool. Meanwhile cream (room temperature) butter, sugar, and vanilla. Add cooled flour mixture to creamed butter and blend until light and fluffy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%