Prices Under My Photos

Decorating By Corrie76 Updated 27 Feb 2011 , 5:42pm by Corrie76

Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 6:22am
post #1 of 10

On a whim, I decided to go back and include what I charged for my cakes in the description area... I only went down to the third row on my first page of pictures, but will continue posting the amounts on my future cakes that I post... icon_lol.gif a lot of them are free, so maybe on those I'll put what I would have charged.
Anyone care to join me in including your pricing on your pics? I'm hoping that you all will see a trend of the prices going higher and higher thumbs_up.gif We'll see on that one though...I actually just read on a FB aquaintances wall that she really wants a cake from me for her upcomming anniversary...I was so flattered icon_smile.gif ...that is, until her mom commented under her post that my cakes are "uber expensive" icon_mad.gif ...luckily the lady responded that they were worth it, the best part is that her hubby called to place an order today!
I'm hoping some of you out there will be willing to start including your prices...I'm always curious,when I see all your fabulous cakes, as to how much you charged.

9 replies
mustang1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mustang1964 Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 7:35am
post #2 of 10

That's a great idea could you include the dimensions also? Your cakes are beautiful.

cutiepiecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiepiecupcake Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 8:54am
post #3 of 10

awesome idea... btw I LOVE your cakes icon_smile.gif

Corrie76 Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 4:22pm
post #4 of 10

cutiepie- your cakes are so cute too, in fact I recognized the christmas tree one right away since I had favorited it back in Dec.!
And that's another thing I wonder about, I see you are in Australia and want to know how pricing cakes is similar or different compared to the US...I was lurking on some cake company's website, that was based in England and saw they had prices listed...I went to the trouble of pulling up a currency calculator so I could see what the American equivalent price was and was shocked at how low some of the prices were, and most of these cakes were listed as fruitcake..which is,most times, a high-cost-ingredients kind of cake to make (well in the US anyways!). But then I wondered if the same phenomena occurs in other countries, like in the US, were the rural areas tend to charge less than the urban areas... icon_lol.gif I don't know why I'm having such a fit of nosiness, inquiring minds want to know! icon_lol.gif

Corrie76 Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 4:48pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang1964

That's a great idea could you include the dimensions also? Your cakes are beautiful.

Oh what an obvious and good point you have, in my future postings I will be sure to include the size, what's inside- along with the price charged. There have been times when I've looked at cake, thinking it's a 6" round and then reading that it's actually twice as big than I thought...I especially do that with the 3-D cakes, in my mind I always see them as being way tinier than they actually are icon_lol.gif

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 4:54pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadameRaz

On a whim, I decided to go back and include what I charged for my cakes in the description area... I only went down to the third row on my first page of pictures, but will continue posting the amounts on my future cakes that I post... icon_lol.gif a lot of them are free, so maybe on those I'll put what I would have charged.
Anyone care to join me in including your pricing on your pics? I'm hoping that you all will see a trend of the prices going higher and higher thumbs_up.gif We'll see on that one though...I actually just read on a FB aquaintances wall that she really wants a cake from me for her upcomming anniversary...I was so flattered icon_smile.gif ...that is, until her mom commented under her post that my cakes are "uber expensive" icon_mad.gif ...luckily the lady responded that they were worth it, the best part is that her hubby called to place an order today!
I'm hoping some of you out there will be willing to start including your prices...I'm always curious,when I see all your fabulous cakes, as to how much you charged.

This is such a good thing, it would defintley help with that old aged question of "how much should I charge", thread. icon_razz.gif

pounds6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pounds6 Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 5:22pm
post #7 of 10

I did the same thing on most of my cakes. I will do this in the future as well. I think it would also be nice to see an extimated number of hours it took to make each cake, though this would be harder to calculate.

Corrie76 Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 5:30pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pounds6

I did the same thing on most of my cakes. I will do this in the future as well. I think it would also be nice to see an extimated number of hours it took to make each cake, though this would be harder to calculate.

Thank you! Just seeing your prices have already bolstered my confidence somewhat to start asking a little more. I was especially having self-doubt about pricing when I got a ,"are you serious? that much?" when I recently quoted a four tiered wedding cake at 400.00....especially makes me mad because the bride decorates cakes on the side, she of anyone should know the work that goes into them icon_rolleyes.gif

lynn1968 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynn1968 Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 5:33pm
post #9 of 10

urban areas tend to be more expensive than rural areas. when i was a young man, i was voluntarily homeless living in long beach, CA, and worked at taco bell making, as their minimum wage for that area, what someone starting out at GM (a good job at the time) here in dayton, OH, would probably have started at. and i'd imagine that that's probably still true, that the cost of living in your area greatly impacts the price structure of what employees earn and the price of the product.

anyway, maybe her mum still prices everything from what she remembers from what they charged back in the 60's. my grandma has this problem, particularly when it comes to quality of products and how business should be handled. then again, some people suffer from a wal*mart mentality. it simply comes from ignorance, it just sucks when they say things like that. trust that people who'd be interested in your product are knowledgeable enough to realize the difference, and if not are open enough to have it explained to them. otherwise, maybe they're not the right customer for you.

i find this problem in my business quite a bit, where some monster online place offers a finished product for less than i can buy the components for. however, they're not looking at the fine print or the quality, they're simply dazzled by a ridiculously low price that makes it impossible for an independent to compete with. quality-wise, there's no question who does the better job. all some folk care about is the price, then, in this case, might be comparing a crappy grocery store sheet cake that serves 30 with a scratch made, sculpted 3D thing that serves 50 and just can't make the leap in their minds?

funny thing is if her mum was asked to make one, i'd bet she'd think your cake was priced spot on! lol.

Corrie76 Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 5:42pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn1968

funny thing is if her mum was asked to make one, i'd bet she'd think your cake was priced spot on! lol.

So funny you mention that, because the mom commented again, telling her daughter that she would just buy the ingredients, the mom would just bake her a cake when she visited this weekend... icon_razz.gif (mom must be on the cheap-side to ask the daughter to buy the ingredients for her)Even better, the daughter replied, "It won't be the same though.." Since the hubby has already ordered the cake for this weekend, I hope the mom get to sample my "uber expensive" cake and see for herself that you usually get what you pay for.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%