Turned Off By Smushed Cake In Cake Bites...

Baking By cocobean Updated 8 Mar 2011 , 4:41am by Babs1964

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 5:03am
post #1 of 33

...is anyone else turned off by the idea of smuched cake used in making cake bites? I really like the look of the cake bites (or balls or truffles) but when I eat them i don't like the idea of the smuched cake it takes to make them. Anyone else feel this way??

32 replies
Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 5:45am
post #2 of 33

lol yes thats me too, kinda gags me out when I think of it. The last time I made them they turn out kinda creamy and had the texture of truffles, everybody oohed and ahhed but I still couldn't get past the thought of smashed up cake. Glad to know Im not alone.

Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 6:30am
post #3 of 33

You are SO not alone! My husband, both of my kids and myself HATE cake balls. Even though we know it's fully baked cake, the texture reminds me of a failed cake with a raw middle! I was so excited when I first learned about them and quickly made a batch...I was not impressed at all, but brought them into work and EVERYONE raved over them and couldn't get enough...YUCK! I wouldn't mind selling them, but they are also a PITA to make (well for me anyways) and no one around here wants to pay more than 75cents a piece...and that's so not worth it to me. I get asked at least once a week if I can make them for an order and I say no every time!

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 2:47pm
post #4 of 33

Not appealing to me at all! I have no plans to make or try them. Same with the cake paste seen on Fabulous Cakes recently. If I paid $2000 for a cake, I want to cut it and see CAKE, not MUSH! icon_lol.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 2:57pm
post #5 of 33

Exactly Elcee...I saw that episode and I was mortified that that lady was using mushed cake to fill in where she made mistakes...I don't think she was that experienced by some of the techniques she was using..Anyways..If I was paying $7000.00 for a cake which I think was what they showed for that groom cake with that giant bass and dog and ball hat....I would expect CAKE or some cereal treats but not mushed crap...I also didn't think her skills were that exceptional to have charged $7000.00....her Bass looked big and gody with a sloppy childish paint job at the best and the dog was not good at all.Not good enough to charge what she did anyway....JMO

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 3:18pm
post #6 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Exactly Elcee...I saw that episode and I was mortified that that lady was using mushed cake to fill in where she made mistakes...I don't think she was that experienced by some of the techniques she was using..Anyways..If I was paying $7000.00 for a cake which I think was what they showed for that groom cake with that giant bass and dog and ball hat....I would expect CAKE or some cereal treats but not mushed crap...I also didn't think her skills were that exceptional to have charged $7000.00....her Bass looked big and gody with a sloppy childish paint job at the best and the dog was not good at all.Not good enough to charge what she did anyway....JMO

Oh, was it $7000? Even more so, then! That is the cake I was thinking of. I wasn't impressed with that cake...not the process or the finished piece. Did you see the fish scales on the mermaid tail cake that was in the most faves recently? Now THOSE were some $7000 fish scales!

Cindy619 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy619 Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 3:22pm
post #7 of 33

The first time I made them I "smushed" the cake with my hands and even though I actually liked the taste of them when they were done, the process bothered me. Since then I switched to using the food processor and a little scoop so my hands never touch them. Oh, and I like to call them cake truffles instead. Now I actually enjoy them!

lovescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovescakes Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 3:52pm
post #8 of 33

yes! you're not alone and I feel the same way about Fondant! yack..

cms2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cms2 Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 3:57pm
post #9 of 33

I want to love 'em but I can't get past the already chewed up and spit out texture.

Ditto on the cake paste on fabulous cakes. I could hardly believe my eyes what she was doing to that cake! icon_eek.gif I would only use that on something that was not going to be served and eaten! I will say that I was impressed at how well it could be shaped and molded though.

morrisaz2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morrisaz2004 Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 4:05pm
post #10 of 33

This thread is so funny. I HATE cake balls!! Just the thought of biting into them, gives me the chills. Yuck!! Everyone that I've made them for, loves them. I just can't get past the texture. It's so nice to know that I'm not the only one with these issues. icon_wink.gif

glow0369 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glow0369 Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 4:09pm
post #11 of 33

cms2...that is too funny.. I thought my family was the only ones that yuck them..I have made them..but really couldn't figure out the excitment that they cause.

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 4:20pm
post #12 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy619

The first time I made them I "smushed" the cake with my hands and even though I actually liked the taste of them when they were done, the process bothered me. Since then I switched to using the food processor and a little scoop so my hands never touch them. Oh, and I like to call them cake truffles instead. Now I actually enjoy them!

I do exactly that as well! And they only take about 45 seconds to be ready in the food processor, so I don't feel like they're overworked and warm and goppy at the end of it either. But I'm hardly a cake fan to begin with (love to bake and decorate, just not so much to eat it), so I'm definitely not a big cake truffle eater!

Goonergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goonergirl Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 4:41pm
post #13 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

My thoughts EXACTLY Kiddiekakes! I couldn't believe my eyes when she started smashing that crud all over her cake. Imagine how it looked when it was served. icon_eek.gif Yuck! I hope there aren't inexperienced cakers out there who think this is acceptable, and start making 3-D cakes with this "technique".

m_willford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m_willford Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 9:29pm
post #14 of 33

I actually like to eat cake, but not suprisingly I scrape most of the frosting off. I play with it way too much to like eating it. Unless it's really goopy chocolate frosting on a rich chocolate cake! icon_smile.gif

So the idea of mushing up leftover cake and mixing it with the frosting, and then eating it? Blech! It reminds me of what my 16 month old does to his cake when my kids are lucky enough to get one made for our family. I supposed if one were to food processor it, and mix it with a really good homemade frosting, and dip it in good quality chocolate I may be more tempted to eat it. Maybe.

I saw that episode! And I totally agree that mushed cake would be very unacceptable for that high of a price. The fish wasn't nearly as bad as the dog though. The dog was just sad. (It seems that dogs are difficult to pull off, I rarely see one that actually looks good.)

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 9:51pm
post #15 of 33

I don't like the texture of cake balls either.

The only way I can eat them is if I mix the cake up with NO additional icing or moisture....then they taste okay after they are dipped, kind of like real cake instead of mush.

I tend not to make them though....I usually use extra cake for tastings, or if its been frozen too long for tastings, I make a trifle out of it with puddings and fillings and whipped cream.

bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 5:58pm
post #16 of 33

I couldn't agree more about cake balls and the smush they fill cakes with - YUK!

Lori123456 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lori123456 Posted 1 Mar 2011 , 6:20pm
post #17 of 33

Wow! My daughter and I thought it was just us! When we saw the Fabulous Cakes episode with that ABC cake paste being troweled on...[shudder]...

AKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKS Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 7:50pm
post #18 of 33
Quote:
Quote:

When we saw the Fabulous Cakes episode with that ABC cake paste being troweled on...[shudder]...

Toba Garrett suggests using this method in her book, "The Well-Decorated Cake". I've never done this myself, but the method comes from the cream of the crop. Just sayin'... icon_rolleyes.gif

cakesherry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesherry Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 8:15pm
post #19 of 33

I bought the Bakerella book and loved the ideas, but hate that she recommends canned frosting over everything else!
I use the Oreo truffle recipe and decorate like 'cake balls'. I don't want anyone tasting a cake ball and thinking that's what my cakes must taste like! icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 8:44pm
post #20 of 33

Kitagrl said: ..........mix the cake up with NO additional icing or moisture....then they taste okay after they are dipped.......

That's the way I made mine. Don't 'do cake' anymore icon_sad.gif
Usually my cake scraps were moist enough to not need any extra addings.
I almost gaged when I tried them by following a 'recipe' adding extra moisture.

cms2 Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 11:19pm
post #21 of 33

Yes, Toba Garrett's book recommends using the paste as a thin layer over the cake, which when chilled, makes a nice hard surface for your fondant layer. I'm pretty sure she doesn't want you to take gobs of it and sculpt with it. I'm still in shock....

writersblock15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
writersblock15 Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 11:47pm
post #22 of 33

Exactly how I feel. I like the taste of cake balls but hate the mushy texture. A few people who sampled them thought it was raw cake inside so now I have to tell everyone it's supposed to be mushy.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 5 Mar 2011 , 11:57pm
post #23 of 33

Sorry, I can't include myself in this category, because I love cake balls. I just don't put that much icing in them that it makes them mushy. I just use enough icing to hold them together into balls. I also add a little veggie oil to the chocolate to make them easier to dip. No muss...no fuss.

HappyCake10609 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HappyCake10609 Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 12:22am
post #24 of 33

I've only made cake balls once when I got a last minute "Mom, I need to bring something to school for a party tomorrow..." and all I had were cake scraps from the cake I was working on and an extra 8" round. I only added enough icing to make the cake stick together, but to me the taste and texture was like a brownie- dense and moist, but not mushy... I would make them again!

AKS Posted 6 Mar 2011 , 10:05pm
post #25 of 33

Finally watched the show and I can't really see the difference between using this "cake paste" and RKT. If it's a texture thing then to each his own, but I really wasn't offended by it. That's JMHO. icon_cool.gif

cms2 Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 2:25pm
post #26 of 33

AKS- I see your point. I don't like to see people use RKT, because to me that's not cake. But I guess I was offended by the paste because I've never seen that done before whereas everybody uses RKT. KWIM?

AKS Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 6:47pm
post #27 of 33

cms2: I KWYM. I agree fully-pvc pipes, wires, wood structures, metal plates-when did cake stop being cake? That's what repulses me the most. People molding cake around foreign object to make a cake-touching it too much-it's disgusting IMHO. Oh well that's my 2 cents! icon_wink.gif

AKS Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 6:48pm
post #28 of 33

cms2: I KWYM. I agree fully-pvc pipes, wires, wood structures, metal plates-when did cake stop being cake? That's what repulses me the most. People molding cake around foreign object to make a cake-touching it too much-it's disgusting IMHO. Oh well that's my 2 cents! icon_wink.gif

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 3:18am
post #29 of 33

I cannot stand cake balls. I like to use brownies. They have a very different texture that way. Put the brownies in the food processor, then use a cookie scoop, press them a bit so they don't fall apart, then dip. They are sort of fudgy.

I also thought that cake paste was yucky looking. It was so wiggly.it looked more like pudding or something.

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 3:57am
post #30 of 33

I'm not crazy about them either. I've never ever put one in my mouth - although I make a lot of them... and they go fast!!

I can't get past the fact that they look like throw-up before the drying stage. Smooshed cake is one thing, but they look a lot more graphic to me that simple smooched cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%