Isomalt Sticks

Decorating By jenscreativity Updated 27 Feb 2011 , 10:58pm by lecrn

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 3:17am
post #1 of 6

I have been thinking about buying isomalt sticks and did some research on youtube to see if there was a tutorial on how to use them..but nothing..mainly pulled sugar and etc..SO, what I'd like to know is how do these sticks work and is it worth buying them? I want to make gems. Can someone give me ideas on this please? Thanks so much!

Jenifer

5 replies
jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 7:26pm
post #2 of 6

anyone know?? Please? Thanks so much

TamathaV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamathaV Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 8:02pm
post #3 of 6

Jen,

I haven't used these personally but I have a basic understanding from other caramel work. I think you just melt them down briefly in the microwave or a pan over low heat and pour into your molds. The important thing is not to overheat them so you're not "cooking" the sugar more. They can become discolored with overheating. The sticks may come with an instruction sheet or contact the store you're buying from for more info.

Maybe someone with firsthand knowledge will chime in. Lots of pros are off on Sundaysicon_wink.gif

Good luck!

Tammy

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 8:15pm
post #4 of 6

Basically its just precooked isomalt powder....

If you buy the powder (its cheaper) then you boil it with water on the stove for a certain amount of time and then you pour it into little puddles on a silicone mat, and store them. At this point they are just like the sticks.

The sticks save you from having to boil the powder down with water, but they do cost more.

Then you can just take out as much as you need, melt it in the microwave, and then carefully work with it...be careful, its dangerously hot.

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 10:57pm
post #5 of 6

I just received an email that JenniferMI is selling them from her store Sugar Delites.

http://www.jenniferdontz.com/

You could email/pml her & ask. She's always very helpful.

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 10:58pm
post #6 of 6

duplicate

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%