3D Carved Cake Pricing Question

Decorating By Babs1964 Updated 27 Feb 2011 , 4:56am by silverdragon997

Babs1964 Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 1:14am
post #1 of 5

Do the majority of CC'ers have a minimum base price for carved cakes as in what you charge and the minimum amount the cake feeds? Hope that makes sense. Thanks

4 replies
Babs1964 Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 1:16am
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babs1964

Do the majority of CC'ers have a minimum base price for carved cakes as in what you charge and the minimum amount the cake feeds? Hope that makes sense. Thanks

I meant to ask about pricing figurines and gumpaste flowers too icon_redface.gif

silverdragon997 Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 1:49am
post #3 of 5

I have a minimum cost per order and a base starting price for all cakes, 3-D and regular. I price flowers and figurines separately, depending on the difficulty.

I don't do a minimum serving size, though it's always entertaining when I get emails asking if I can do a fancy carved cake to feed 10. In that case, I tell them what the smallest size I can make is, how many that serves, and base my price off of the number of servings they are going to get.

Babs1964 Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 3:04am
post #4 of 5

Silverdragon what do you suggest is the minimum servings for a carved cake about 20-25?

silverdragon997 Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 4:56am
post #5 of 5

Really, it depends on what the cake is carved to be like. I did a very small (4" diameter) cake in the shape of a turtle, only fed 4 or so. But that went with a large order of custom design cupcakes as well. I wouldn't make that cake on it's own, and I doubt the customer would have paid my minimum price for something that small. icon_smile.gif

Generally, the smallest my custom cakes go is around 25-30 servings. The smaller it is, the more it costs, because the tiny little details that I have to make for it are a pain in the butt!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%