How Long In Advance Can You Make A Gumpaste Item?

Decorating By lasuggs Updated 26 Feb 2011 , 11:26pm by 2508s42

lasuggs Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 7:08pm
post #1 of 6

I am new to gumpaste and have never used it before. I am going to try to make a gumpaste pirate skull for my daughters cake that will stand up on the top of the cake. I got the idea from an awesome cake in the gallery. She said that she used gumpaste to make it. I do not plan on eating the gumpaste so I bought the pre-made wilton kind from Hobby Lobby. My question is how long will it last once I make it? Her birthday is about 3 weeks away still but I would love to make it in advance. Also, how do I store it? I have used fondant in the past for making a number that stands up and it took a week or so to dry hard. Everything I have read is that gumpaste dries much faster and harder.

Thanks for any help or advice!

5 replies
lyndim Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 7:16pm
post #2 of 6

I usually make my gumpaste elements three days to a week in advance, depending on my schedule and what I'm making. Gumpaste does dries fast and hard and lasts forever!

Sassy74 Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 7:19pm
post #3 of 6

You can make it days, weeks, even months in advance. Let it air dry VERY well, and then you can store it airtight indefinitely. As long as it stays dry and away from heat/sunlight, it'll last just about forever lol .

sugardugar Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 7:31pm
post #4 of 6

it's your first time you say? make it today! icon_smile.gif
gives lots of time try try again if you don't like it and, as long as it stays dry, it'll last foreva!

Sassy74 Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 7:40pm
post #5 of 6

Oh, I would also suggest you make more than one. Hopefully, nothing will happen, but you never know. Always good to have a spare in case the worst happens.

2508s42 Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 11:26pm
post #6 of 6

once your piece is dry, wrap it in toilet paper (I know), then in a box away from the heat.

I agree to make two.

Quote by @%username% on %date%