Cupcake Liners Pulling Off?!?

Baking By mom-of-twins Updated 4 Mar 2011 , 4:27am by scp1127

mom-of-twins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom-of-twins Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 5:38pm
post #1 of 8

I have to make 8 doz. cupcakes for tomorrow and my liners keep separating from them. I'm just using a box mix and some of the decorative foil liners and they are all pulling apart. Can anyone help? I love making cupcakes but am about ready to give up on them after my last couple of batches. icon_cry.gif

7 replies
glow0369 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glow0369 Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 5:56pm
post #2 of 8

I hear that this is being investigated by the box cake companies, because of all of the complaints. I don't have that problem. But I only bake from scratch or doctored box mixes. I think there are many factors to consider. temp, recipe, the way your cuppies are cooled,the cake liners themselves...but, I use meny, many different brands of liners and mine stay put. So, I can't help much..

Elizabeth68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elizabeth68 Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 6:05pm
post #3 of 8

I have had the same problem and I think it has to do with the liners...both on scratch cupcakes and doctored box mixes. My best luck came from filling the liners enough that the cupcake bakes a tiny bit past the top. Also, do NOT put them in the fridge OR in a container with an airtight lid. Good luck!!

ILoveDaffodils Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ILoveDaffodils Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 6:08pm
post #4 of 8

I know just what you mean. I bake a lot of cupcakes and have been experiencing the same problem. There are a couple of topic threads on this subject on cc so you may want to search for them. Here is a link to another discussion on it.
http://jessicakesblog.blogspot.com/2010/11/cupcake-wrapper-mystery-solved.html
There were lots of different suggestions and I have tried most of them. None seem to solve it completely but what I found helps is baking a little longer to avoid underbaking; slightly overfilling the the liners before baking; and letting them cool in the pans before removing.
Hope this helps.

Crazyforcupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazyforcupcakes Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 12:17am
post #5 of 8

I don't usually have this problem, but I did with the last batch of cupcakes I made. I made 1 doz. WASC cupcakes, and 1 doz. lemon-flavored WASC. Of the 24 cupcakes, only 2 pulled away from the liners. Not a big problem, but why only those 2? (both were lemon, by the way.) All of the cupcakes were made the same and baked the same, cooled and then stored in a 3-tiered cupcake holder and frosted the next day. It's a mystery!

sixbittersweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixbittersweets Posted 3 Mar 2011 , 11:08pm
post #6 of 8

I've had and heard about this problem a lot too. I do notice certain baking liners do it more than others (perhaps some have non-stick coating?). I haven't done side-by-side tests, but definitely agree with the suggestions to fill the liners so the cupcake will rise to the top of the liner or higher. I believe under OR over-baking can make the liners pull away more. Finally, I respectfully disagree with dah12345 about letting the cupcakes cool in the pans. I've heard and experienced the opposite. If you leave the cupcakes in the pans, they will steam which worsens the problem. Since reading that, I've tried to remove my cupcakes from the pan within 5 minutes of removing them from the oven and it seems to have helped.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 12:15am
post #7 of 8

Underbaking and putting them in a tight container before they have had a chance to completely cool will both cause the paper to peel away.

There are lots of discussion on this. In my months and months of research, I concluded the above two. Both came about from personal experience.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 4:27am
post #8 of 8

I have spent quite a bit of time studying and experimenting with this issue. This is just my personal experience... I have no problem when I use high quality liners. I use Reynold's foil (online, they have six colors), Reynold's color safe (again online, sometimes in grocery stores), pricey greaseproof brown liners fron etsy, and greaseproof tulip liners. My cakes are scratch and very miost. When I bake, I only make the exact amount because I know they won't separate when using these liners. I just adjust my bottom line to reflect the price.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%