Buttercream Cakes

Decorating By cowie Updated 28 Feb 2011 , 2:45am by cowie

cowie Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 5:03pm
post #1 of 5

How long can you leave a cake covered in buttercream icing out? I have a few people asking me for cakes this week all to be picked up the same day but won't have enough room in my fridge for them all.

4 replies
beenie51 Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 5:26pm
post #2 of 5

I don't refigerate my buttercream cakes. The only time I would is if there was a perishable filling or smbc ect. I would bake on wednesday or thursday and and decorate. the cakes are picked up Friday or Sat.

cakesnglass Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 5:29pm
post #3 of 5

It's not so much the buttercream but the filling (if you did torte and fill?) if it is perishable when not refrigerated. I just had a scratch chocolate cake with buttercream filling and frosting on my counter for 5 days and it tasted better every night. (I was testing my choc.cake). As long as the room is a/c (average 75) you'll have no problem. If decorating a few days ahead just be careful with dark colors and the brightness in the room,some tend to fade. Sturdy cake boards are a must once the buttercream crusts it can crack if the board flexes. Good Luck

CWR41 Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 7:19pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesnglass

I just had a scratch chocolate cake with buttercream filling and frosting on my counter for 5 days and it tasted better every night.

I agree... some cakes taste better on day 4 or 5--more moist after being sealed under buttercream.

At around two weeks, the cake inside will start to grow mold from the moisture.

cowie Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 2:45am
post #5 of 5

Great to know! I have always thrown them in the fridge right away afraid they would go bad. Now I know I don't have to. The cakes I will be doing will have a buttercream filling so that should be okay. I remember having a cake out on the counter that I decorated in one of the classes and we didn't get to it until after a week or so and I took a bite and it was NASTY! I think it was formented or something.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%