How Do You Pick A Cake Board?

Lounge By cowie Updated 28 Feb 2011 , 2:41am by cowie

cowie Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 4:52pm
post #1 of 6

How do you decide whether you need a thinner cake board vs a drum cake board? Anything over a certain size or?

Thanks

5 replies
ToniRod Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 5:20pm
post #2 of 6

I usually use both, cake board goes directly under cake, and then cake goes on the cake drum (or covered foam core board)... Makes it easier to move the cake around while working on it without damaging your cake.

cowie Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 5:21pm
post #3 of 6

Ohhh, I have only used 2 boards with fondant cakes, not buttercream.

jenscreativity Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 5:31pm
post #4 of 6

I use cake boards or foam boards for the cake, BUT you it depends on the weight of your cake also. If you have a tiered cake, I would use the cake drums for support or DOUBLE your cake boards/foam, OR use a cake board..a hint for you..

if you have a heavy cake, tiered or sheet, then go to Home Depot/lowes early in the morning or later in the evening as ask them for scrap wood if they have any. Look at the scraps and you will get it for like $1 or less!!!! It's awesome and just covered your boards with paper/non-toxic covering!

Ok,,ALso, if you have a cake, that you want to put ribbon around board, not the cake,,then you may want a drum instead of doubleing your boards.

Hope the tips help!

beenie51 Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 6:17pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenscreativity

I use cake boards or foam boards for the cake, BUT you it depends on the weight of your cake also. If you have a tiered cake, I would use the cake drums for support or DOUBLE your cake boards/foam, OR use a cake board..a hint for you..

if you have a heavy cake, tiered or sheet, then go to Home Depot/lowes early in the morning or later in the evening as ask them for scrap wood if they have any. Look at the scraps and you will get it for like $1 or less!!!! It's awesome and just covered your boards with paper/non-toxic covering!

Ok,,ALso, if you have a cake, that you want to put ribbon around board, not the cake,,then you may want a drum instead of doubleing your boards.

Hope the tips help!

As jenscreativity stated above a lot depends on the size of the cake. For the Blue colored wedding cake in my photos even though you can't see it well there was about 3/4 of an inch supporting that cake. The cake was delivered already stacked.
When I do a full sheet I use 3 heavy duty cake boards glued together and then covered. Since doing this I don't have any problems with my cake coverings cracking.

Good luck

cowie Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 2:41am
post #6 of 6

Thank you so much for your responses. Gives me a lot to think about. I never even thought about Home Depot or Lowes, that's great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%