Can You Transport A Stacked Cake?

Lounge By wiggler Updated 26 Feb 2011 , 6:53pm by Davwattie

wiggler Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 4:31pm
post #1 of 9

I am makeing a stacked cake for a family function next weekend . Its just a two tier cake 9" and 6" covered in fondant . I am using Wilton plastic dowels in the bottom layer . Can I stack the cakes before travelling
(about 1 hour away ) , or do I have to do it on site . This is my first time stacking a cake
Any help would be appreciated icon_confused.gif

8 replies
Darthburn Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 4:49pm
post #2 of 9

Yes you can. 2 teirs shouldn't be all that bad. Just no rough driving.

If you're super worried about it, you can drive a thin wood dowel down through the top center then cover the hole with a topper. But you should be fine.

LisaPeps Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 4:53pm
post #3 of 9

With a 2 tier so long as you support it correctly you'll have no issues transporting it stacked. For extra security, alot of people would recommend SPS system. I have never used it though.

wiggler Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 5:04pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks . I was afraid to chance it . Will just have to tell my hubbie to drive carefully !!

Darthburn Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 5:17pm
post #5 of 9

I think it was Indydebi on here that said it best:

Drive like you had a baby on top of your car.

If you want, you can "glue" the top on the bottom by putting a little piping gel or water or royal icing inbetween them (if it's fondant).

Some people don't like to glue them because it makes it harder to seperate the tiers at serving time.

icon_smile.gif

debster Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 6:08pm
post #6 of 9

I take 3 tiers with people holding in my car and up to 5 tiers in a van. I won't push 6 don't ask me why just freaky to think about, do use the dowel rod in the middle that helps lots for stabilization. You can get them from 1/8 to like an inch around at home depot or lowes and just carve you a point like you were making an arrow. For up to 3 tiers I use the Wilton wooden rods, those you can sharpen in an electric pencil sharpener. I also use that no slip cabinate shelf liner to go under the cake. It really works for slippage problems. Main thing is not to FEAR. I still do I'm talking to myself.

tryingcake Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 6:23pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by debster

I take 3 tiers with people holding in my car and up to 5 tiers in a van. I won't push 6 don't ask me why just freaky to think about, do use the dowel rod in the middle that helps lots for stabilization. You can get them from 1/8 to like an inch around at home depot or lowes and just carve you a point like you were making an arrow. For up to 3 tiers I use the Wilton wooden rods, those you can sharpen in an electric pencil sharpener. I also use that no slip cabinate shelf liner to go under the cake. It really works for slippage problems. Main thing is not to FEAR. I still do I'm talking to myself.

I travel with multi-tiers all the time using this same method.

BTW, the Home Depot dowels sharpen just as well in a pencil sharpener. That's all I use. Hint: I buy the smaller size (not the super skinny ones - I think the next size up) that fit inside straws. I have mental issues over putting the wood directly in to the cake. I insert the straw and then the dowel. Now, of course, the big dowel that goes down the middle does not have a straw coating.... but I don't think about that.... even though it makes me a little crazy. Yeah, this is the area where I am high-strung icon_confused.gif ..... we all are about something.

Another hint: If your dowels aren't 100% the same size, even a hair off, your cake can become lopsided. I cut all my dowels to EXACTLY 4" on a miter saw. I cut lots at one time and put in my supply closet. I set the slidy-thingy to 4" and cut away. This way, even if my icing makes the cake taller than 4" (which it does) the most it's going to sink (which it most likely will) is to the dowels.... all exactly 4" tall. These don't get sharpened, of course. Only the one that goes though the center of all tiers. Anyway, this is how my cakes stay level. At least I think so icon_wink.gif

buttercuppie Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 6:23pm
post #8 of 9

You'll definitely be fine with just 2 tiers. My boss once had me hold a 4 tier cake covered in coconut for a 45 minute drive upstate in August. On our way we had to hit the brakes hard because some idiot thought he could cut in front of us when we were trying to move over for the fire truck behind us. The cake slid a bit but that was because we had just glued it down about 5 minutes before we left. Damage was fixed (thank goodness for coconut) and we went on up without another problem.

I had made sure the cake was doweled well before we left (mainly because of the long drive and the warm August temps).

As long as your internal structure is good and you don't drive like Mario Andretti you'll be fine.

icon_biggrin.gif

Davwattie Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 6:53pm
post #9 of 9

I've delivered a couple of 2 tier cakes in my car by myself.

I used straws in the bottom cake and use ganache or buttercream to help hold the top one in place on the bottom one.

It is nerve racking delivering them though and where I live(UK) there are so many stupid speed humps my stomach turned everytime I went over one icon_eek.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%