Has Anybody Needed The Extra Space Of The Full Size Cricut?

Decorating By cms2 Updated 26 Feb 2011 , 9:30pm by tiggy2

cms2 Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 1:20pm
post #1 of 5

I'm ready to take the plunge. Obviously, I'm leaning towards the cheaper mini, but I'm afraid to buy that one and then wish I would have gotten the full size. Has anyone found they needed that extra cutting space? And from what I've read on other posts, I get the impression that the full size cricut will cut a thicker material? Is that correct? Do they come with a mat or is that extra? I'd like to buy everything I need to get started at one time.

Thanks in advance. icon_smile.gif

4 replies
tiggy2 Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 1:42pm
post #2 of 5

As far as I know they both use the same blade and would cut the same thickness. The thicker you roll your material the more likely it is to tear or have jagged edges. The advantage I see for the wider machine is not having to reload as often as you can move the blade to another position and keep on cutting. So instead of a 6" strip of material you could have 2 strips and just reposition the blade to get more cuts. I can see this daving a little time.

They do come with a mat but I purchase flexible cutting boards to store my material on while it is drying then transfer to the cutting mat when ready to cut. If you haven't checked out the youtube step by step videos I highly recommend them, they will save you a lot of frustration. http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=silhouette%20%20electronic%20cutter&search=Search&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&spell=1 Watch everything by deseret designs, she invented the method of cutting gumpaste with electronic cutters.

cms2 Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 4:26pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks for taking the time to answer. Where do you buy your plastic mats? Are they like the ones Linda McClure uses to store her rolled gumpaste on? Do you know what they're called or what brand they are? I've never seen them before.

HobbyCaker Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 4:43pm
post #4 of 5

I had given this a lot of thought also. I just wanted to be able to cut Monograms, shapes etc. So I sat down and compared both. I decided to go with the Cricut Cake Mini, and was excited to find it at Joann.com for $99.00 plus free shipping through tomorrow (2/27) Can't wait for it to get here so I can try it out.

tiggy2 Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 9:30pm
post #5 of 5

They are exactly the same one's Linda uses. I actually ordered mine online from this site http://www.sciplus.com/category.cfm/subsection/6/category/60 Pkg of 2 for $1.95. A friend and I each ordered 10 pkg and split the shipping cost.

Quote by @%username% on %date%