leah_s Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 3:42am
post #1 of 30

is called to order.

Who's up?

Whatcha workin' on?

29 replies
leah_s Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 3:43am
post #2 of 30

I had a devil of a time getting onto CC tonight. Seems there are viruses AGAIN.

leah_s Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 3:44am
post #3 of 30

Anyway, two cakes picked up earlier today. And getting ready for another wedding show on Sunday. The joys of planning season.

Corrie76 Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 3:55am
post #4 of 30

I had two cakes picked up earlier(so thrilled they are in the top pics today!) and a lazy weekend ahead icon_biggrin.gif Leah, have you ever thought about starting a Thursday Night Cake Club? icon_lol.gif It's seems like lately, Friday is the "new" Satuday, which means late thurs. nights for me since I don't get home from work until 6pm icon_cry.gif

KJ62798 Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 3:55am
post #5 of 30

No cakes for me tonight.

I've been struggling all week with my dummy cake for the San Diego Cake Club show next weekend. Between anxiety, fussy fondant, and a sinus headache all day yesterday I'm feeling WAY behind. I spent the day helping the DH with work & airplane related crud so now I'm DONE for today.

It's a rainy icky weekend here so I'm hoping I can just bunker down & get some work done.

SugarandSpice3674 Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 3:55am
post #6 of 30

I'm working on my own birthday cake lol. I want to practice a few new things/flavors for fun and i wont be worried if i mess this one up lol. Going to be a pillow cake with a3d heart cake on top with a crown on one of the bumps, kind of inspired by Colette Peters heart cake. im whipping up the imbc right now, im excited, my family has never tasted it before. Going to have Strawberry cake with lemon mousse and lemon imbc, and vanilla bean cake with cookies and cream filling with white chocolate imbc. Yummmmmm

j0z1e Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 3:57am
post #7 of 30

No cake for me tonight, I made a peach upside down cake last night though. Tonight is going to be a video game night! My daughter has been a crankpot all day, so I'm giving my brain the night off. Have fun and good luck with the show on Sunday!

Evoir Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 4:02am
post #8 of 30

I have wedding clients all day today for consultations (its Saturday here already)...no weddings this weekend, but we're just about to have a very busy March!

leah_s Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 4:03am
post #9 of 30

Damn I've got two wedding shows on Sunday. DH has agreed to work one for me. That's a hot mess waiting to happen.

Madam, I think the Thursday Night Cake Club is ALL YOU.

J0z, peach upside down cake sounds seriously yummy!

Sugar, that cake sounds yummy also!

Babs1964 Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 4:16am
post #10 of 30

Hi Leah, what all do you do to get ready for a wedding show that in itself must take some planning!
Its a balmy -23 celcius here today and when you factor in the wind chill it was -49, not sure if I'm looking forward to spring either as they are predicting some pretty high flood levels icon_sad.gif

leah_s Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 4:25am
post #11 of 30

I'm in the group that produces these shows, so I-
design all the print and Facebook advertising and make the media buys
write and approve the radio ads, obviously also making the media buy
lay out the show floor plan
Manage registration - sort and print out pre-registration lists for the Registration ladies
Set up the registration area - tables, linen, pens, etc.
Set up the welcome banner at the venue
After the show, type in all the onsite registrations and get the Lead List out to vendors.

For my own biz -
make new dummy cakes as needed
bake cakes, portion into souffle cups
pack advertising materials
pre-set the candy buffet and transport

slap a happy smile on my overworked face.

j0z1e Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 4:32am
post #12 of 30

Oh thanks, it is seriously yummy and light and fluffy too! I posted it up in the recipes, it says it'll be there in a few days, if anyone wants it sooner just pm me icon_biggrin.gif

sweets4you Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 4:35am
post #13 of 30

Just finished working on a Snoopy/Woodstock cake for tomorrow. No energy to take pictures, I'll do it tomorrow before I bring it to the party. I love making cakes for family and friends, sometimes I wish I can do this for a living instead. icon_smile.gif

BakedAlaska Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 4:39am
post #14 of 30

Working on a wedding cake for tomorrow... Thought I had a Braves ball cap cake to finish today as well, but the client seems to have evaporated. So that's leaving me a lot more time to dedicate to the wedding cake.
Trying the upside down frosting technique with off-white ganache... So far so good!

cheatize Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 4:44am
post #15 of 30

No cakes, no cookies, no nothing fun for me today. I've been working on taxes all day and paid the bills tonight. I'm about to run screaming if I have to do one more financial thing tonight. I'll be back at it again tomorrow, unfortunately. I'll be glad when it's all over.

All the cakes sound great! I can't wait to get back at it next week!

Do you have the usual last minute problems that come with people who don't register or pay on time and such? From my days as a band booster volunteer, I remember a lot of aggravation with that kind of thing.

sillywabbitz Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 4:46am
post #16 of 30

No cake for me tonight. I'm playing with a new pricing calculator some suggested here on CC and OMG. I'm a hobby baker (Come on Texas pass the Baker's Bill) but I like to know what I should be charging for my cakes. So using this calculator (which is amazing by the way) I'm figuring out what I should have charged for all my past cakes. Some make a lot of sense and some seem over priced. A basic 6 inch cake is running $40. I've set my BC per serving price at $3.25 and fondant at $3.75. If I ever do start a business I'm going to have to start buying in bulk. Oddly my frosting is the most expensive part of my equation...go hi-ratio shortening.

If anyone is interested in the calculator you can find the details here

I was a little gun shy about downloading something on my PC but I have good virus software just in case and tons of people on Wilton had used it. So far it has installed successfully and has me in total shock for proper pricing.

leah_s Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 4:50am
post #17 of 30

We have a dedicated person who collects the $ so I don't have to do that. And the Pres of our organization has no problem kicking out a non-paid vendor. He's also a part-time Deputy Sherriff, well trained in hand to hand combat.

I've been up since 4 am, because I had a TV shoot. Going to bed soon. If anyone needs help, take care and figure things out!

cakeandpartygirl Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 4:51am
post #18 of 30

I just finished 200 donated cookies for my daughter's girl scout troop!! Am I a sucker for punishment or what? It was the first time I have ever made this many cookies.

cakeandpartygirl Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 4:56am
post #19 of 30
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

Oddly my frosting is the most expensive part of my equation...go hi-ratio shortening.

Me too, mine costs about 7. Between the hi ratio and butter it's killing me icon_cry.gif

sillywabbitz Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 5:00am
post #20 of 30

Hey Cakeandpartygirl,
I see you're in Ft. Worthwhere do you get your Hi-ratio and what brand do you use?.I buy my hi-ratio at Cake Carousel but it's not Sweetex and I really want to try Sweetex and see if there is a difference.

Apparently Aldi has a good price on butter so you might try there.

Also if you haven't heard there is a North Texas Cake and Sugar Art Show at the end of April. It's in Lewisville (just north of Plano). You should enter. I'm a member of the host cake club and it should be really great.

Marianna46 Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 5:07am
post #21 of 30

No cakes tonight! I'm still out of town getting everything settled for my retirement (from my day job, that is!) and selling my house so I can actually finally settle permanently in Cancún. Even so, I've managed to make three really nifty cakes without my usual equipment (yeah, yeah, yeah, I'll post them one of these days...) and I spent most of today experimenting with cake balls -- gotta do something with that leftover cake! Found out I got a lot better results by adding a little shortening to my candy coating. I'd heard that but never tried it. My hat's off to all you hardy souls who have wedding cakes to deliver tomorrow. I wanna be like you when I grow up. That's why I want to go home so much - so I can actually get my cake business up and running! Leah, you're my idol: great organizational skills and you make amazing cakes, too!

cheatize Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 5:08am
post #22 of 30

200 cookies? I can't imagine where I'd even place that many to dry!

I have my own pricing matrix that I use and it's amazing how it all adds up. It's in an Excel file and I don't see the total price until I click on the last sheet and seeing the number always makes me want to go back and see where I made a huge mistake. lol

cheatize Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 5:14am
post #23 of 30

FYI: I just tried to download that cake calculator and my computer recognized it as malware so I let it put in the vault. I usually don't hesitate to download anything from the Wilton site, but that post is 2 years old and I guess a lot of things can happen in 2 years. Anyway, you might want to run your virus scanners and such- just in case.

sillywabbitz Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 5:20am
post #24 of 30

Thanks Cheatize. I will definable do that.

sillywabbitz Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 5:53am
post #25 of 30

I did manually run my virus scanner and malware bytes and both came back clean. Just a question did you click the link at the bottom of the page that says "Save file to your PC" or did you click one of the big download buttons in the middle of the page. The original instructions say to use the save file to your PC but I'm not sure if that would matter.

And just a note to all, I don't recommend downloading anything that registers suspicious in your malware or virus scanner software.

Babs1964 Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 5:55am
post #26 of 30

Baked Alaska what is the upside down frosting technique, I can't say I've ever heard of that icon_redface.gif

cheatize Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 6:11am
post #27 of 30

I clicked that honking big download button in the middle. I wondered if I should have clicked the save to pc at the bottom.

Babs1964: there's a tutorial/article on this site about the upside down method. Basically, you ice the top of your cake, put wax paper on the top, flip the cake upside down on another board, ice the sides, flip the cake right side up again, remove that board and the wax paper, and voila! The top is smooth.

cheriej Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 6:22am
post #28 of 30

Just trying out a fondant/gumpaste symbol for a 4 tier cake due in a month. I have to paint it tomorrow to see if that will work. They sent me their symbol and I had to figure out each piece, size it and now try to piece it together. Then a simple carrot cake on Sunday for a friend of mine whose mother-in-law is in town and hasn't been doing well. I'm also going to give her some of my pecan cookies she likes.

cheatize Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 7:02am
post #29 of 30

It's 2 a.m, time for me to get some sleep. Happy deliveries, everyone!

Babs1964 Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 7:25am
post #30 of 30

Well I'll be, thanks Cheatzie thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%