How Do I...know When To Use Structural Support?

Decorating By KJF1985 Updated 27 Feb 2011 , 5:50pm by KJF1985

KJF1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJF1985 Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 9:21pm
post #1 of 3

This is my first post so forgive me if this is in the wrong spot. I've had my first cake request. It needs to feed 50 people so I was thinking a 3 tiered cake, maybe 8", 6", and 4"? I realize this is extra but i'd rather have some being throw away than not have enough.

Anyway, I've never done a tiered cake like this and am assuming I need to put some dowels in the tiers for support? But for future reference, at what point do you need to worry about structural support? What if it was only two tiers? Or is it based off total height more than anything? Thanks guys!!

2 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 9:46pm
post #2 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJF1985

Anyway, I've never done a tiered cake like this and am assuming I need to put some dowels in the tiers for support?

Yes, like this:
http://www.wilton.com/cakes/ti.....uction.cfm

Quote:

But for future reference, at what point do you need to worry about structural support? What if it was only two tiers? Or is it based off total height more than anything?

Generally, use supports for every 4" of cake height.

KJF1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJF1985 Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 5:50pm
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Quote:

Anyway, I've never done a tiered cake like this and am assuming I need to put some dowels in the tiers for support?

Yes, like this:
http://www.wilton.com/cakes/ti.....uction.cfm

Quote:

But for future reference, at what point do you need to worry about structural support? What if it was only two tiers? Or is it based off total height more than anything?

Generally, use supports for every 4" of cake height.

Fabulous! Thanks for the info!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%