How To Stack Tiers Without Smudging?

Decorating By shannycakers Updated 28 Feb 2011 , 5:54pm by shannycakers

shannycakers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannycakers Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 5:54pm
post #1 of 7

HI all, I see so many nice stacked tiered cakes that have tiny borders, my problem is when i stack using a palette knife and fingers under board, there is always smudged icing or cracked fondant, lots, around the bottom. What is the secret to stacking with minimal tearing along bottome or cracking on fondant, or dents from fingers around??

6 replies
sugardugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardugar Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 6:11pm
post #2 of 7

Borders get applied post-stacking. icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 6:20pm
post #3 of 7

if you can have your cakes nice and cold it helps a LOT! If stacking on site, just be prepared to go back with a little palette knife and piece of paper/paper towel and fix any little smudges. It's also helpful if you don't put your dowels all the way down into the cake and let the weight of the next tier push them down gradually (gives you ample time to get fingers out of the way!

shannycakers Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 5:38pm
post #4 of 7

ok, thank you, I guess I will try refrigerating them a while before stacking, I just dont put any of my cakes in frig, so maybe that is my problem, when i lift them to put on top of cake with spatula the fondant cracks a bit, or buttercream gets smooshy..

shannycakers Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 5:39pm
post #5 of 7

and yes im aware that border go on after the fact, lol, i was merely stating some people have tiny borders or none and the bottoms are so perfect looking.........

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 5:49pm
post #6 of 7
shannycakers Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 5:54pm
post #7 of 7

yay very helpful! i need a cold cake!, man now i need bigger frig!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%