Little Rant

Business By LoveMeSomeCake615 Updated 25 Feb 2011 , 4:26pm by LoveMeSomeCake615

LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 3:42pm
post #1 of 5

Ok, there's been enough debating about being legal on here lately, so PLEASE let's not go there, I just needed to vent...

I just found out for sure that one of the cake businesses in my city is not licensed. I had my suspicions before, but now I know for sure. That in and of itself is not that big of a deal, there's a few that I know aren't licensed here.

What really gets me about this person is that they have been in business for at least a couple of years as far as I can tell, they advertise, they have done lots of weddings, AND they are now part of an office co-op type thing of wedding vendors here. What I really don't get is how can the other vendors that have aligned themsleves with them either not be aware or not care that they are not licensed?? They seem to be fairly well known and as I said, have done lots of weddings, which brings to mind the question of venues that require a business license to receive cakes from the business.

Again, if they were just kind of flying under the radar and doing cakes for friends and family, even friends of friends, ok, whatever. But the fact that they are out there promoting themself publicly AND have been doing so for a while now seems to show that they have no intention of getting licensed or even working towards it.

Maybe this is all a big mistake and they really are licensed, becaue I just don't see how you can go for that long as an unlicensed business putting yourself out there and making connections with other vendors.

4 replies
jason_kraft Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 3:53pm
post #2 of 5

It's actually pretty easy to get a business license in some municipalities, the big hurdle is usually getting commercial kitchen space that's inspected by the county/state dept of health (or whoever is responsible for food safety). Municipalities do not always communicate well with county or state depts, and they may not even care that a business doesn't have an inspected kitchen as long as they get their license fee.

I would think that venues would require vendors to have liability insurance (which pretty much requires a legally inspected kitchen) rather than a business license.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 4:02pm
post #3 of 5

Yes, which they couldn't get liability without a license and an inspected kitchen. They even have on their Wedding Wire page that they are not licensed by the health department, which I would think would raise a red flag for brides, but I guess not.

jason_kraft Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 4:14pm
post #4 of 5

The reason they can operate like this for so long is that people are afraid of "turning them in". Most brides don't even pay attention to the status of health inspections, they are more focused on taste, design, and price...it's up to people in the know to help the health dept enforce compliance, since the health dept certainly doesn't have the manpower to do so effectively.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 4:26pm
post #5 of 5

That's very true, I know for a fact our local health dept is understaffed and overworked. They can hardly keep up with inspections for the licensed businesses, much less track down unlicensed businesses.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%