Sugarveil Question

Decorating By Relznik Updated 25 Feb 2011 , 6:42pm by Dreme

Relznik Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 3:35pm
post #1 of 6

I was given some Sugarveil last year and have only just got around to using it....

I've done these monograms using it (there's no way I'd do these in RI without them snapping into a gazillion pieces!) - but how long do you think I will need to let it dry for?

I'm HOPING tonight??? The cake is for tomorrow!!

Suzanne x

edited to say that I can't attach the photo... I'll add it to my photos.

5 replies
Dreme Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 4:23pm
post #2 of 6

I have done monograms for a cake and used them within a few hours while they were a flexible. Large pieces like full images I have let dry overnight and they were fine the next day.

What i'm not sure about is the storage of leftover sugarveil.

Relznik Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 4:41pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you.

So, in theory, these should lift OK???

I've just lustred them gold... and they look OK! icon_smile.gif Just want to make sure I don't lift them too soon. I did them an hour or so ago... it's nearly quarter to five.... so I'll have a go after dinner tonight, I think. That way, if I do completely muck it up, I've got time to panic, calm down and devise a 'Plan B' LOL!

Dreme Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 5:03pm
post #4 of 6

I do mine on a sheet of acetate lightly greased with shortening. They move off the surface just fine. Now if they are on an ungreased surface, they are harder to get off while they are still soft. No problem when they get rock hard though.

If they were stiff enough where you could paint them and not mess up the surface, then they may be ok. I usually check the underside of my piece to see if it is dry enough. I like to test it with a toothpick to see if it has dried the same way you would with a cake. Just touch the bottom surface; if it sticks it needs more time.

Relznik Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 5:46pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you so much for your help!

The monogram is on the cake. It's not glued into place yet, but it's there! icon_biggrin.gif

I'm pleased enough for my first attempt. Next time, I definitely need to grease the cellophane more. And I was probably a bit premature trying to take it off. (but I was panicking icon_wink.gif )

But thank you for taking the time to reply to my questions. I really appreciate it. x

Dreme Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 6:42pm
post #6 of 6

No problem. Glad I could help. I'm still learning myself.

Quote by @%username% on %date%