1St Wedding Cake -Self Taught Amateur. Need Ideas!!

Decorating By Katieas9600 Updated 27 Feb 2011 , 8:19am by punita123

Katieas9600 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katieas9600 Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 3:31pm
post #1 of 9

Hi all, I am making my 1st wedding cake. I need some ideas on the easiest thing to accomplish that won't look like crap. Can anyone show me pics and how-tos of the easiest wedding cake they have done?? I am looking to do 3 round tiers. Probably 12,10, & 8. I am struggling with smoothing BC and have covered 2 cakes in fondant but they always sag. i do fine with fondant cutouts though. I am thinking real flowers for decor because I can't make gumpaste ones. Maybe some ribbon on the bottom of the tiers. Any ideas or photos would be great. Thanks so much!

8 replies
Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 3:49pm
post #2 of 9

Do you have time to take some Wilton classes? that is where I started. Then lots of Cake Central and YouTube! And practice. There is no quick lesson for perfect cake decorating. (I wish!)

Sharon Zambitto (sp?) is supposed to have a wonderful DVD about buttercream and how to smooth. Edna also has a great video on YouTube.

The "simple" plain tiers with a ribbon around the bottom edge are usually a great place to start. ("Simple" in design, but you will have to practice your smoothing of BC!) You can purchase premade gumpaste flowers from various sources if you prefer that to silks. They usually come white, and you can color them as desired with dusts or coloring.

Good luck to you!

nicoles0419 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicoles0419 Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 4:09pm
post #3 of 9

try smoothing you buttercream with a fondant smoother and viva papertowel, works every time for me. If you do ribbon make sure it has a wax coat on it so it doesnt get grease spots from the buttercream. Michaels sells premaid flowers, u could make buttercream roses

LillyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LillyCakes Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 5:02pm
post #4 of 9

Do a search on here for the upside down method for getting crisp edges. I tried it for the first time last night and really liked it. I have a large cake for tomorrow and I hope to figure out a way to use the same method. You will have to use it in conjunction with the fondant smoother and viva paper towel.

Moondance Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moondance Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 11:22pm
post #5 of 9

there's a really simple wedding cake in my photos - I used white chocolate ganache under my fondant, it makes a really firm undercoat. The roses are really simple - just made from fondant circles, thinned on one edge and wrapped around a central cone. Three on the top and one each on the tiers.

Good luck icon_biggrin.gif

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 11:46pm
post #6 of 9

Yes, definitely take a look at Moondance's cake. It is simple but elegant. You could use a contrasting color of ribbon, if you liked and real or silk flowers. Just don't stick any wires or flower stems directly into the cake. What most people do is stick the stems inside soda straws (or those small, thin straws that they use as coffee stirrers in some places) before sticking them into the cake so that any contaminants on them aren't spread to the cake too. Before you attempt a three-tier cake, make a smaller practice one first, if you can. That way, you can see if your stacking technique holds up. If you have any doubts about how to stack a 3-tier cake, do a search here and on youtube for instructions/videos on how to do it correctly. You can't have a cake that big without an adequate support system. Good luck. I think you can do a really lovely cake, if you're willing to put some time into it.

Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 11:56pm
post #7 of 9

Very simple one on my page, my first wedding cake done about 6 months after 1st class, so you know it's easy, but I got tons of complements. If your fondant is sagging maybe you just need to let the cake settle a while longer. Good luck and be sure to post your pics!

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 12:16am
post #8 of 9

Here's a link to the Wilton instructions for stacking multi-tiered cakes, in case you need them. They were just posted in another thread:

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/tiered-cakes/stacked-tiered-cake-construction.cfm

punita123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punita123 Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 8:19am
post #9 of 9

shaibaer has posted lamp cake . I think it would be great cake for you wedding.You can fine this post here.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-710842.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%