Why Does My Buttercream Turn Out Grainy?

Decorating By yvesyong Updated 21 Jan 2007 , 2:34pm by yvesyong

yvesyong Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yvesyong Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 10:12am
post #1 of 7

Hi,
Tried the decorator's buttercream recipe in CC this afternoon ,the buttercream turned out a little grainy. When I bite into the buttercream, I can almost 'feel' the sugar. And the colours are not mixing well, I can see specks of white amongst the colour. I am using icing sugar, which I was told is the same as confectioner's sugar. Is this true? Am I using the wrong sugar? If not, what else could be the problem

Also I find it very sweet, how can I cut the sweetness?

Can this buttercream hold in hot and humid weather?

Can you, kind souls out there give me some tips?

Thanks in advance!

6 replies
kaychristensen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaychristensen Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 10:32am
post #2 of 7

I would love to help you . But where are you from. I am not sure of which recipe you used. But I know if I don't get my salt disolved my frosting is alittle grainy. So with out more info I don't know how to help you. Let me know more and I will help if I can

yvesyong Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 10:55am
post #3 of 7

Hi kaychristensen,

I used the recipe from
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2356-Decorators-Buttercream.html

And I stay in tropical Singapore.

Thanks in advance.

denise2434 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denise2434 Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 11:41am
post #4 of 7

HI yvesyong!! I've had the same problem icon_mad.gificon_cry.gif For me, I finally figured out that I wasn't mixing it long enough. So I make sure that I mix it at least 8 minutes.

HTH thumbs_up.gif
~Denise

SScakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SScakes Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 11:45am
post #5 of 7

Are you sifting your icing sugar when you mix it in?

surgery2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
surgery2 Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 12:26pm
post #6 of 7

I buy only cane sugar, dominos and another brand are cane confectioners sugar. Other store brands are made with beet sugar. Earlene Moore suggests we use cane sugar for icing, as I switched to it and my icing is always wonderful.

yvesyong Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 2:34pm
post #7 of 7

Hi all,
Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I did mix it for more than 8 minutes and sift my icing sugar prior. Just checked the packaging of the icing sugar, notice that it did not mention anything about cane sugar... so that could be the reason. will try again.

thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%