Share Or Not To Share?

Decorating By dancingqueen07 Updated 25 Feb 2011 , 7:58pm by LKing12

dancingqueen07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dancingqueen07 Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 12:53pm
post #1 of 13

As a self-taught amateur I have used the internet to teach myself and websites such as Cake Central for inspiration. I have noticed, as I have myself have done, often when posting comments about a cake some will ask "how do you do that .....???" Some posters are extremely generous in answering such questions whilst others don't. Do you like to share or not to share your decorating tips? I would like to say a big thank you to those you who so generously share your decorating tips and techniques. xxx
icon_biggrin.gif

12 replies
msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 1:24pm
post #2 of 13

I'm always willing to share. I have found others to be very generous in sharing their tips as well. This is what this site is all about.

CakeCrystals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeCrystals Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 1:26pm
post #3 of 13

Yes Love sharing my knowledge with fellow cakers. That's how we teach one another. Every cake is a learning experience whether you're a Newbie or Professional. There is another thread where fellow cakers are sharing tips on cake baking and decorating. There is also a thread on here where some do not think they should share what they know.

IMO, Sharing is a great thing to do and it is one of the first things we learned as children growing up.

mmmmmmmmcake1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmmmmmmmcake1954 Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 1:35pm
post #4 of 13

thumbs_up.gif HEAR HEAR!!! Totally agree icon_wink.gif

Manderly42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Manderly42 Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 1:36pm
post #5 of 13

I just got a recipe from a CC member yesterday! She was nice enough to share her technique which I will certainly use in the future!!

sullymel13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sullymel13 Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 1:56pm
post #6 of 13

Pretty much everything I have learned about cakes was from here, so I don't see any problem with sharing it again! Now, it is a little harder for me to share with people that I know who ask me questions. Afterall, research takes a lot of time to do! Fortunately, I am not asked that often, and when I am, I generally do answer.

Anyway, thanks for all those who generously share here, you are awesome!

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 2:16pm
post #7 of 13

I appreciate learning a new thing. Sometimes it is as simple as can be and other times a precious family recipe. We all have learned a lot and it is nice to be able to give back. It seems I am more in the learning stage rather than the teaching but someday I hope to be able to share what I have learned. I just hope to remember who taught me.

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 2:38pm
post #8 of 13

I love sharing and if you share, you get it back too! God created us to be brothers and sisters..not to be secret with eachother.

CakeCrystals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeCrystals Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 2:39pm
post #9 of 13

I second that emotion. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 3:11pm
post #10 of 13

This board is full of sharing, just look at how many tips, tricks and answers to questions are posted with in the forums.

Now when we are talking about the picture section I have to thoughts on it. One is if you ask me a simple direct question, "what did you use to do such and such" I have no problme replying. But if you just say, "tell me how you did this cake," followed by an email address, then sorry, I'm probably not going to give you a huge reply. (There was just a posted topic on the second part of that.)

Another thing to keep in mind is that we have all kinds of levels of people on CC. Some are busy bakery owners that don't have time to come give out every little tip and trick they know. Some people post pictures to just get the ohhs and ahhs. Some people will post pictures then dissappear after a while.

My best suggestion for wanting to get tips and tricks is to actually post them on the message board and not as comments in the gallery. You will get a wider audience that may be able to answer the question, send you in the right direction to get it, or give you some different ways to accomplish the same things.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 4:34pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

This board is full of sharing, just look at how many tips, tricks and answers to questions are posted with in the forums.

Now when we are talking about the picture section I have to thoughts on it. One is if you ask me a simple direct question, "what did you use to do such and such" I have no problme replying. But if you just say, "tell me how you did this cake," followed by an email address, then sorry, I'm probably not going to give you a huge reply. (There was just a posted topic on the second part of that.)

Another thing to keep in mind is that we have all kinds of levels of people on CC. Some are busy bakery owners that don't have time to come give out every little tip and trick they know. Some people post pictures to just get the ohhs and ahhs. Some people will post pictures then dissappear after a while.

My best suggestion for wanting to get tips and tricks is to actually post them on the message board and not as comments in the gallery. You will get a wider audience that may be able to answer the question, send you in the right direction to get it, or give you some different ways to accomplish the same things.

thumbs_up.gif Well said!

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 7:30pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingqueen07

As a self-taught amateur I have used the internet to teach myself and websites such as Cake Central for inspiration. I have noticed, as I have myself have done, often when posting comments about a cake some will ask "how do you do that .....???" Some posters are extremely generous in answering such questions whilst others don't. Do you like to share or not to share your decorating tips? I would like to say a big thank you to those you who so generously share your decorating tips and techniques. xxx
icon_biggrin.gif

I'd pretty much answer any question I can....I dont fear anyones competition or that their knowing how I do it will take business from me.

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 7:58pm
post #13 of 13

I love to share! What really gets me is when you save a picture as a favorite and read all the compliments and notice the same question being asked multiple times and absolutely no response from the decorator! If they would just give more details when they post the description, that would help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%