Help With Individual Mini Cakes

Decorating By fabray13 Updated 26 Feb 2011 , 10:03pm by jlynnw

fabray13  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabray13 Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 9:57am
post #1 of 15

Hi! I was asked to make 30 individual mini cakes for a bridal shower. customer requesting tiffany blue boxes with white bow. I am thinking 3x3 square with fondant. I have 2 questions. will it be easiest to cut each box to size or get mini pans? And does $3 per cake seem like its enough? I live in ne ohio and charge $2.50/slice for my fondant cakes. Havent been asked to do anything like this before! TIA!

14 replies
 Occther  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 11:28am
post #2 of 15

I have never done this but think it would be easier to back sheet cakes and cut into the size you need. $3 seems entirely too cheap for this much work. I would think at least $10 each.

susiekoos  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susiekoos Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 11:48am
post #3 of 15

3.00 is way to low. That is only 90.00 for soooooo much work! 8-10 would be a good starting point.

sullymel13  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sullymel13 Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 12:49pm
post #4 of 15

I agree with the others. I haven't made them myself, but I hear the smaller the cake, the more painful it is to decorate. I would definately say $10 each, and I would probably cut the cakes out a larger cake myself. Good luck, it sounds very pretty!

Kiddiekakes  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 2:04pm
post #5 of 15

Yup..Those mini's are a PIA...I charge $15.00-$20.00 each when I am doing the small two tiered ones so I would say more like $8.00-$10.00 also for the boxes...Cut from slab cakes..it is much easier than baking several mini pans...

MadMillie  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 2:19pm
post #6 of 15

I would charge more. Even though each cake will be considered a serving, technically there is really more than one serving there, even though it is not going to be split among more than one person.

jlynnw  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 2:19pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Yup..Those mini's are a PIA...I charge $15.00-$20.00 each when I am doing the small two tiered ones so I would say more like $8.00-$10.00 also for the boxes...Cut from slab cakes..it is much easier than baking several mini pans...

I don't charge, not legal, but I do gift the cakes. I did the minis once and PIA is nicely put. I would really have to be quite good friends to do that again. I did cut my cakes out and found that to be the best route.

fabray13  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabray13 Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 3:09pm
post #8 of 15

Thanks for all the advise! I figured they are going to be a huge PIA! Sure didnt realize how much to charge though. Thanks again!!!!!

shalini1  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shalini1 Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 3:38pm
post #9 of 15

hi there!

I find that it's easiest to make a sheet cake, frost/torte the entire thing, then just cut it to size either with a knife or cookie cutter.

This will probably cut down your prepping and you can just "assembly line" it.

ACK! So cheap for the cakes. Depending on your locale, I would think $5 min/cake, no?

LUCK TO YOU!

cakesbycathy  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 4:08pm
post #10 of 15

Individual mini cakes are the biggest PITA. Minimum $10 each. Be sure to explain how time consuming and labor intensive they are to the client so that she "gets" it.

TexasSugar  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 5:08pm
post #11 of 15

Not to mention you need 30 boards, 30 boxes, places to store 30 little cakes, as well as transporting 30 little cakes...

teenycakes  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teenycakes Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 5:32pm
post #12 of 15

I have to make 36 for a friends wedding. I purchased the Wilton pan from Walmart that makes 12 small square cakes (2-1/3"). I've already tried the pan and it works beautifully. I have to cover mine in fondant (approx. 2 ounces to cover them). The cakes I'm making are only one layer, covered in buttercream, then covered in fondant with a custom decoration. I would charge at a minimum $5 - $7 each for the one layer cake. These cakes are very labor intensive. The Walmart pan is really nice to use, and I don't think I paid more than $11 for it. I placed parchment in the bottom of it and the cakes came out lovely.

Good luck,

Teenycakes

leah_s  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 3:15pm
post #13 of 15

Yaknow, there are some bakeries in CA that get $35 each for the little box cakes. Srsly.

Kaylani  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaylani Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 5:43pm
post #14 of 15

Mini = PIA!!!

Extra time, work & annoyance. Bridal magazines are nuts for giving brides the idea those are a cost savings.

ugh!

jlynnw  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 10:03pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Yaknow, there are some bakeries in CA that get $35 each for the little box cakes. Srsly.

That's crazy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%