Help With A Cake, Please

Decorating By threeforhim Updated 26 Feb 2011 , 4:57pm by Rose_N_Crantz

threeforhim Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 2:47am
post #1 of 8

I have a request for a vw bug. I've looked at pictures here on cc and pm'd at least two people, I think three actually, who made really great looking vw cakes and after nearly a week haven't received anything back. They may not be on this site much anymore, I don't know. I just know I need lots of help, pan size/shape, how many layers, best way to go about carving in order to get the shape, lots of help. Anyone out there that is willing to answer my questions I would be so grateful! Thanks

7 replies
scratchdog Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 3:16am
post #2 of 8

Hi Mike McCarey has a dvd called Cakenology worth every penny. Teaches you how to carve a car cake. Good luck.

jenscreativity Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 3:24am
post #3 of 8

Highly suggest that DVD of cakenology!! I ordered it a week ago..it's $40 but it's a long, step by step, awesome DVD and it's soooo worth the penny. MY hubby loved it too and he isn't about cakes so much like I am..lol..You GOTTA GET IT! It is sooo good and I never order DVD's but I had to get this after I had to do car cakes..and i"m doing my third one next month possibly! It's a forever DVD trust me!

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 3:48am
post #4 of 8

Here ya go!

threeforhim Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 4:08am
post #5 of 8

Wow! That is a great video. It has helped so much. However, I'm wanting to cover the cake in fondant and I'm wanting a full beetle, not a convertible. Thank you so much for that link!

icer101 Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 4:15am
post #6 of 8

check out this thread. there is a b/c green one in NCBert's photos and how to.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=6104472&sid=c98f9a1597acc48cb6fe36b6619d201b

cheatize Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 6:13am
post #7 of 8

Wilton's car pan looks similar to a VW bug.
http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E309956-475A-BAC0-56CC36B100626F34&killnav=1

You'd only have to carve a little here and there instead of starting with blocks of cake.

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 4:57pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by threeforhim

Wow! That is a great video. It has helped so much. However, I'm wanting to cover the cake in fondant and I'm wanting a full beetle, not a convertible. Thank you so much for that link!

Then just make the cake a little higher and carve it with a hump in the middle for the roof. It would be easier to cover it with fondant that way too. I made a 3D train cake a while back and I just covered the whole thing with the main color of fondant that the train was going to be, then just added strips and blocks of fondant to make the details. A little piping here and there too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%