Thin Icing

Decorating By graciesj Updated 26 Feb 2011 , 1:53pm by graciesj

graciesj Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 1:43am
post #1 of 7

As I filled my 2 tier cake tonight I realized after the 3rd layer of the bottom cake was filled that it was lop sided. I crumb coated it, and put it away. Then I went ahead and filled the top tier of 3 layers and noticed almost immediately that it was lop sided too. I think I put too much water in my icing this time;( what???????.....the cakes are resting and doing their thing in the freezer. WILL THEY BE OKAY TOMOOROW?? I was planning on covering them in fondant, but am afraid to now. Any suggestions? gracie

6 replies
cheatize Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 6:39am
post #2 of 7

It sounds to me like either your filling isn't spread evenly (or your dam) or the cakes themselves are not level. If they're lopsided now, I seriously doubt freezing is going to fix it. You need to take them apart (this is where the freezing will help, they should be easier to take apart) and see what's happening in there.

graciesj Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 12:47pm
post #3 of 7

Good morningicon_smile.gif that's exactly what I thought of doing. let them freeze over night, take them apart and start over. thankyou...this never happened to me before. the cake recipe I use for this is the disable one with the boxed cake and pudding mix. Now this recipe calls for the whole package of pudding but I find it to sweet and only put in a 1/4 of it, do you think this had something to do with it to? thanks again

cheatize Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 3:46pm
post #4 of 7

I don't think so. When they came out of the oven, they were okay, right? No cracking, crumbling, or anything like that?

graciesj Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 6:17pm
post #5 of 7

Well actually the cakes did have a little air pocket on the sides. That's never happened before!
I did take them out this morning and re filled them and now am allowing them to set in the freezer. I will keep you postedicon_smile.gif and thank-you for looking out, it means a lot icon_smile.gifgracie

cheatize Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 6:19am
post #6 of 7

You're welcome! I know when I'm in the middle of a cake things aren't going right, I can't think what to do so I just keep going and hope cake fairies will fix it. LOL

graciesj Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 1:53pm
post #7 of 7

ha ha that's cute. well in that case I'm just going to sprinkle some pixie dust over iticon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%