Will Cream Cheese Frosting Hold Up As The Glue Under Fondant

Decorating By peachofcake Updated 24 Feb 2011 , 11:45pm by ThreeLittleBlackbirds

peachofcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peachofcake Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 11:04pm
post #1 of 5

I am making a red velvet cake with cream cheese icing. Will the fondant hold up with the icing as the glue or should I stick with IMBC. I just didn't want to fill with cream cheese and then ice with BC. Thanks!

4 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 11:23pm
post #2 of 5

The true cream cheese icing is not good to put under fondant. There is a decorators cream cheese recipe on this site and also on designmeacake.com. She has the true cream cheese recipe also. The decorators cream cheese has either crisco or hi ratio shortening, which makes it not a true and original cream cheese icing. While it is tasty, it is not as good as the original. Earlene Moore has one on her site also. It was changed this way to make it more stable to ice cakes with ,etc. hth

peachofcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peachofcake Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 11:35pm
post #3 of 5

hmmm don't know if I should make another icing. Would it be alright taste wise to use the cream cheese as the filling and the IMBC as the icing to cover the cake?

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 11:45pm
post #4 of 5

I think it would taste very good. I make smbc also. I know there is a cream cheese flavoring or oil. Don,t know if you have time to get it. I haven,t tried it yet either. Just saw it on some site. I have seen a cream cheese fondant recipe , i think on this site. I will try to find it.

ThreeLittleBlackbirds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeLittleBlackbirds Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 11:45pm
post #5 of 5

I would make a cream cheese IMBC, which is more stable for filling and crumb coating. Just make your IMBC or SMBC as usual and add it to whipped cream cheese and mix on low. If you're not stacking more than one tier you can fill with traditional cream cheese frosting and crumb coat with ganache. Yum!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%