Buttercream Or Royal Icing As My Main Icing-Wedding Cake

Decorating By Terri66 Updated 24 Feb 2011 , 7:02pm by Shelley51708

Terri66 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 5:20pm
post #1 of 9

Hi, I am new to this site and love it. My question, I have my first wedding cake to make this summer and the bride-to-be wants buttercream icing...which I love to make...HOWEVER, I can never seem to get it perfect and smooth like my fondant covering. Should I be using royal icing as my main icing...because it dries crusty? I have watched videos on using papertowels or parchment paper with a smoother...but the buttercream is too "wet" and comes off on my papertowel....now I am losing confidence in doing the cake!!!!!! Help...any suggestions would be appreciated. icon_cry.gif

8 replies
justkist Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 5:30pm
post #2 of 9

If you covered the entire cake with RI it would be too hard to cut/eat. You need to use BC and maybe try the "viva" technique that everyone here talks about. But you NEED a crusting BC. Try IndyDebi's receipe. You need to let it crust first and only then place the Viva paper towl on the cake and smooth.

Jody130 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 5:32pm
post #3 of 9

I would use buttercream, royal doesnt taste that great to me. I have started using indydebs crisco based buttercream, it's great, and it's a crusting icing, so you can smooth it out!

KJ62798 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 5:33pm
post #4 of 9

You don't want to use Royal Icing as the main icing for the cake--it dries too hard to really be edible. Guest will be expecting the fluffy frosting that buttercream gives you.

The paper towel methods will only work if you are using a CRUSTING recipe for buttercream. I like IndyDebi's recipe here on CC. There are others if you search for "crusting" buttercream.

If you like the taste, etc of your current recipe, look for tutorials on "hot knife" smoothing and "wet knife" smooothing. I was taught to wet knife my cakes--once the cake is pretty smooth, spray that cake with a mist of water and then lightly smooth out all the spatula marks. This works best w/ non-crusting BC that you can chill hard in the fridge.

HTH
Kristy

asaye Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 5:58pm
post #6 of 9

Save your Royal Icing for making flowers and other decorations. A good Crusting Buttercream and the 'Viva' method will work. Just let it set for a few minutes before trying to smooth it. Since I learned about this method, it has never failed me.

Terri66 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 6:23pm
post #7 of 9

Thank you all so much for your input. I will try the IMBC for sure and let ya know how it goes! I think I also should invest in a good scraper. Thanks for posting the links also.

justkist Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 6:30pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri66

Thank you all so much for your input. I will try the IMBC for sure and let ya know how it goes! I think I also should invest in a good scraper. Thanks for posting the links also.

PS - I think everyone was recommending you try IndyDebi's Crisco Based Buttercream. Very different (and 1000 times easier) than IMBC!!!

Shelley51708 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 7:02pm
post #9 of 9

I use Wilton's BC recipe, but I use water, not milk, and I use Crisco, it turns out great and crusts really well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%