Banana Cupcakes

Baking By Cupcakeboy85 Updated 25 Feb 2011 , 5:02pm by LaurenLuLu

Cupcakeboy85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcakeboy85 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 5:07pm
post #1 of 10

I am making some banana cupcakes for the first time on friday and topping it with the a slice of banana but I know banana turns brown when being left out. Is there a way to prevent that from happening?

9 replies
imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 5:29pm
post #2 of 10

You need some kind of acid. Freshly squeezed pineapple or lemon juice works, but could make them soggy.

There's something called Fruit Fresh that you could use, I think.

Why don't you use dried banana chips?

yums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yums Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 5:29pm
post #3 of 10

I have never done it with bananas but I know tossing apples in lemon juice helps to keep them from becoming brown.

Cupcakeboy85 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 5:49pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

You need some kind of acid. Freshly squeezed pineapple or lemon juice works, but could make them soggy.

There's something called Fruit Fresh that you could use, I think.

Why don't you use dried banana chips?

If I were to use the lemon juice wouldn't that alter the taste of the banana, I'm goin to look into the banana chips as an alternative as well

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 5:56pm
post #5 of 10

Yes, you can taste the lemon juice, of course. That's why maybe you should use the Fruit Fresh or just banana chips. Or find, an alternative (if no one is allergic to nuts), like candied peanuts. I'm making the David Lebovitz banana cake with mocha frosting and candied peanuts this weekend. Heard it is delicious.

Here's the link to Fruit-Fresh
http://www.freshpreserving.com/pages/new_products/2.php?pid=294

And the link to the candied peanuts.
http://www.bonappetit.com/blogsandforums/blogs/badaily/2010/05/david-lebovitz-dessert-recipe-banana-cake.html

Cupcakeboy85 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 10:38pm
post #6 of 10

Thanks for the advice guys!

gina0475 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gina0475 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 11:00pm
post #7 of 10

this may be totally off, but why not do a banana chip, perhaps half dipped in chocolate. Tasty and still kinda gives you the look. Hope I am not too off base.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 11:18pm
post #8 of 10

i,m just sending this link so you can see at the bottom, it says to dip your banana slices in lemon juice so they won,t turn brown.

http://www.duncanhines.com/recipes/cupcakes/lindseyusiak/cinnamon-banana-cupcakes-with-a-caramel-twist

Cupcakeboy85 Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 3:45pm
post #9 of 10

Thanx for the pix! I made the banana this morning and they tasted delicious!!!! my question is can I leave them out or do they have to be in the fridge since it's has bananas in it? I made them for a party for 7pm

LaurenLuLu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaurenLuLu Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 5:02pm
post #10 of 10

No refrigeration necessary.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%