Mmf Or Bust?

Decorating By MasonsMom7610 Updated 24 Feb 2011 , 5:27pm by Claire138

MasonsMom7610 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 4:44pm
post #1 of 5

So I am VERY new to cake making.
(All the cakes in my photos are the only cakes that I have ever done).

I have used MMF for all the cakes but I feel like I am very limited to what I can do with it. (i.e. I have tried to make ribbons with it, and it doesn't stay stiff enough). I know the Wilton fondant is much stiffer, but it is too expensive to justify buying when you can make MMF for so cheap.
Also, the MMF seems to get great taste reviews, which the store bought does not.

I am just wondering what you more experienced cake makers use (other than store bought that also tastes good).
Or maybe just what kinds of homemade fondant are better for making decorations?

I have tried a rolled buttercream fondant recipe, but it didn't roll out very well and didn't hold a 3D shape either. (It tasted awesome though!)
I have also tried to make gumpaste (just out with the wilton powder and water) but it seemed to be too dry and crack and/or break.

I am open to all suggestions and help! icon_smile.gif

4 replies
imagenthatnj Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 5:05pm
post #2 of 5

Mix the MMF with tylose.

You would benefit from reading this blog. Archives links are on the left side. There's lots of instructions on how to work with MMF, including how to color it a vivid red, how to work with modeling chocolate, etc.

sullymel13 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 5:07pm
post #3 of 5

I am not too experienced, but from what I have read here, everyone uses all sorts of things, including MMF. I definately recommend the tylose, and some people have good success with mixing gumpaste and fondant for some things. Have fun and keep experimenting!

dsilvest Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 5:09pm
post #4 of 5

If you are unable to find tylose use Wilton Gumtex. I don't like it as much as tylose but it still works.

Claire138 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 5:27pm
post #5 of 5

I use MMF for everything and never use tylose (we can't get it where I live). If you need it to be firmer just add more icing sugar, that does the trick for me!

Quote by @%username% on %date%