Deconstructing A Stacked Cake?

Decorating By sb4216 Updated 7 Sep 2005 , 5:28pm by sb4216

sb4216 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sb4216 Posted 6 Sep 2005 , 7:16pm
post #1 of 6

Ok, I am still in the planning process for making my first stacked cake. I have a question though, how do you take the top cake off to cut and serve without messing up the bottom cake? Is there some trick?

5 replies
VickiG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickiG Posted 6 Sep 2005 , 7:33pm
post #2 of 6

I am so glad you asked that ! I've been wondering that myself.

I've been to weddings and for the life of me cannot remember noticing how/what they did to slice the cake.

luv2cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cake Posted 6 Sep 2005 , 9:58pm
post #3 of 6

You will want to make sure that you have cake boards underneath each tier of the cake. Make sure that both sides of the cake boards are wrapped in foil or something else so that the grease from the icing doesn't soak in and make the board soggy. Then you just stack them up. I have also heard that you can cut a piece of waxed paper or sprinkle powdered sugar on the bottom layer before stacking the cakes and that will help frommessing up the icing on the bottom cake. I have never done this, and I don'thave any problems.

Then to deconstruct, I use a couple of large spatulas and another person to help pull the top layers off. There is no perfect way to do this. The borders will get mesed up and your fingers will get icing on them, but I know of no other way. It works out just fine because usually the wedding cake gets cut and eaten within minutes and no one even notices.

It is an intimidating task, but it can be done.

vitade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vitade Posted 7 Sep 2005 , 9:55am
post #4 of 6

Wilton's suggestion is to use a smaller cake board on top of the bottom layer so a timy gap is bwtween the two layers. So our layers would be from bottom up:

layer
sprinking of pwd sugar or coconut
small board
top layer (ON it's size cake board)

There really are so many different preferred methods people use. No matter which way you go, it's gonna be nerve racking. Like luv2cake said, WE notice so much more than most people do.

Rose

Sangria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangria Posted 7 Sep 2005 , 1:48pm
post #5 of 6

I cover the boards with white, shelving paper. You can purchase it at Target or Walmart or something. It helps it not stick.

sb4216 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sb4216 Posted 7 Sep 2005 , 5:28pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you very much. That gives me a good idea. Now I will just need to practice before the big day.

Thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%