No One To Blame But Myself - Need To Vent

Decorating By SweetResults Updated 25 Feb 2011 , 8:23am by ChilliPepper

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 2:35am
post #1 of 10

Okay - this is all my fault, I am a wuss, and I just need to vent this out so I can let it go...

Doing a cake for a friend's birthday, she is having a fund raiser/silent auction cocktail party for Parkinson's disease for her birthday.

She wants an LV bag cake, but not the budget for a giant one to feed everyone. No problem, I can work with that. I said I can make a smaller bag, put it on a simple sheet cake (which I HATE to make - I just don't "do" sheet cakes) and can work within her budget of $250 - for 60 people. So right there she is getting The Deal of the Century.

But I figured a simple sheet cake, I don't mind throwing that in for practically nothing. She is a friend, I will put the actual price on invoice and discount it out. Easy, right?

NOW it is 80 people AND she does not want to CUT the pocketbook cake!!! A "sheet" cake for 80 people from me would be $320 ALONE! PLUS THE FREAKIN BAG would be at least another $100!!!!

Now this is all my fault that I do not have the balls to go back to her and tell her no way that's not what I signed up for. I know I know. But this is for Saturday, I am baking tonight and kicking myself the entire time. I will put the actual price on the invoice and discount out to her budget so at least she KNOWS.

I will let it go now and just make the damn cake and get over it. I am not losing any materials cost, only my time (yes I know - the most expensive thing). My fault, I just have to let it go now. Thanks for listening - begin the chastising - I deserve it!!! icon_smile.gif *sigh* icon_redface.gif

I will not even MENTION the party planner who called me today to make sure the CAKE BOARD will not CLASH with the decor... WTH????

9 replies
Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 2:43am
post #2 of 10

Hmmm...since she is having a fundraiser could the difference in what the retail price would be and what you actually charge her be considered a donation? You could at least get a tax write off for it.

TabbieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TabbieCakes Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 2:45am
post #3 of 10

No chastizing icon_sad.gif You already know what's wrong with this situation. Sometimes doing favors for friends ends up being a real PITA. Just make sure that if you say nothing, you're really willing to let it go and don't hang on to any hostility. It will only tax you in the end. Live and learn. I'm so sorry this happened.

VanillaCoke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VanillaCoke Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 2:28pm
post #4 of 10

yes, donate and write it off!

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 2:44pm
post #5 of 10

She has a "PARTY PLANNER?" but no budget for the cake she wants! Donate, write off and stay away from this friend!

m_willford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m_willford Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 6:46am
post #6 of 10

Ouch. Just ouch. Don't you just love those life experiences that teach us lessons? :/

Special_O_Cakesions Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Special_O_Cakesions Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 7:20am
post #7 of 10

OK, so this is a fundraiser party for a "friend". I would be asking questions at least to know for my insanity... Is the party planner also a "friend" of hers, which is doing another favor for the fundraising or is she paying this party planner for their services? Most generally, a friend's party is just that, like it or not, they expect to get the best from us at no additional charge, not to mention the expenses we are out and the time it takes to make the cake(s) without as much as a "thank you". I made a baby shower, 3 tier cake a few weeks ago for a friend of my sister's.. Yes that's right, I didn't know this couple but I figured I would get advertisement from the cake in the area in which my sister lives... I did, I received 6 contracts that evening for cakes. So in all, use this fundraiser to your own advantage and don't let it get to you in the way to bring you down. Have your business cards conveniently on the cake table, let your friend know that you have put a lot of time into this event and you need her help as well as she needs yours... If she refuses then you know you can also refuse her... An eye for an eye sorta speak. Hope that helps

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 7:32am
post #8 of 10

Yep.
That one came back and bit you in the butt.
Gonna leave a mark, too.

I know how you feel, I've got scars, too.

mommachris

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 7:37am
post #9 of 10

LKing12, you took the words right outta my mouth!

ChilliPepper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChilliPepper Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 8:23am
post #10 of 10

You gotta get tough hun - and I bet you don't get caught like this again! Next time, friend or not, explain the full costs of materials, ingredients and your time (you are not able to earn while you are doing favours for people).

CP xxx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%