Why Does My Frosting Look Like Colorful Piles Of Poo?

Baking By kimmisue2009 Updated 28 Feb 2011 , 10:46pm by AirForceWife

kimmisue2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmisue2009 Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 10:21pm
post #1 of 12

I know how indelicate that question is, but that's what my cupcakes look like when I try to do this:

http://www.pinkcakebox.com/images/cake1320.jpg

I have bought tips, watched tutorials and made my frosting different consistencies, but I cannot get this look. Is there something I am missing?

11 replies
imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 10:32pm
post #2 of 12

And you watched this, and bought this big round tip?

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 10:36pm
post #3 of 12

could it be your icing recipe in general?

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 10:47pm
post #4 of 12

Lol I knew exactly what style cupcake you were talking about when I read the subject. They all look like poo, even pinkcakebox UNTIL you put decorations on them. Large sprinkles, fondant flowers or medallions ...when this style became popular it shocked me because I always see pooicon_smile.gif

Just add some decorations and they'll be fine.

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 10:47pm
post #5 of 12

Be sure that your icing isn't too soft.

ShandraB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShandraB Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 10:47pm
post #6 of 12

What exactly is it doing? Are the swirls sinking or what?

peachspider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peachspider Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 11:03pm
post #7 of 12

Those poo look pretty good to me! and your cake is so so cute!! thumbs_up.gif

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 11:57pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachspider

Those poo look pretty good to me! and your cake is so so cute!! thumbs_up.gif

Those cupcakes are not to my liking. I, too, think they are obscene and would not want to even try to eat them...if you think that presentation is important to food, then you will not make things that look like items that should not be spoken of in mixed company... I am not a prude; just choose to eat and make my food a pleasant experience. lol:

kimmisue2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmisue2009 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 12:59am
post #9 of 12

Thanks so much everyone. I did wonder if maybe the embellishments made the difference. I am about to make a billion cupcakes for my daughter's baby shower and wanted something not too frilly since she's having a boy. I have watched that video and bought every tip under the sun. It's most likely a practice issue and the toppers. Oh, and my buttercream is the standard powdered sugar, butter, a touch of vanilla and a bit of heavy whipping cream.

Y'all rock. Thanks again for the responses and the kind words!

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 4:53am
post #10 of 12

The ones pictured look fine to me. Some people use a large round tip to pipe with CHOCOLATE frosting - now THAT looks BAD, should be a law against it!

BlueMoon73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueMoon73 Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 5:32am
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

Lol I knew exactly what style cupcake you were talking about when I read the subject. They all look like poo, even pinkcakebox UNTIL you put decorations on them. Large sprinkles, fondant flowers or medallions ...when this style became popular it shocked me because I always see pooicon_smile.gif

Just add some decorations and they'll be fine.

I so agree!! icon_wink.gif

AirForceWife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AirForceWife Posted 28 Feb 2011 , 10:46pm
post #12 of 12

Don't forget that Ann and the other people working at the Pink Cake Box have gone to really awesome pastry schools, so dont be surprised if her stuff looks way more awesome than yours. Lol, I try not do stuff that she does cause I know it wont ever look like that. But I always go onto her site and look at the amazing cakes she has created.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%