Brown Sugar American Buttercream Recipe?

Baking By divinecc Updated 24 Jun 2016 , 4:42am by kas2105

divinecc Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 6:29pm
post #1 of 16

I have been scouring the internet trying to find a great brown sugar buttercream, mostly all I find is IMBC recipes. Does anyone out there have a tried and true american BC recipe with brown sugar? Also, if you do have one is the texture grainy? I am thinking melting some of the butter and the sugar together until the sugar dissolves, let it cool then cream as usual to help with the grainyness(is that a word icon_lol.gif) you think this would help? Just a thought, any help would be great as I don't have much time to experiment!

15 replies
divinecc Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 10:43pm
post #2 of 16

Anybody? icon_razz.gif

NanaSandy Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 10:59pm
post #3 of 16

never heard of such a thing, but I am thinking it would have to be grainy???

Sangriacupcake Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 11:07pm
post #4 of 16

I have a hand-scribbled recipe that I copied from a food blog printer wasn't working at the time--my apologies to the author. I haven't tried the recipe yet, but maybe it will help you.

Brown Sugar Buttercream

3/4 cup unsalted butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
3 cups powdered sugar
3 T. milk, warmed or cream

Cream butter & shortening until fluffy. Add brown sugar to warmed milk (it will partially dissolve) then combine with butter mixture. Add powdered sugar & beat until smooth.

Please let me know how it turns out!!

divinecc Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 11:14pm
post #5 of 16

Thanks! I will let ya know!

icer101 Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 11:20pm
post #6 of 16

Hi, i am glad i seen this thread. I make this b/c using white sugar all the time. Never thought of using brown sugar. I make the brown sugar smbc,etc. Now i am anxious to try this. I love brown sugar anything. I will still look for what you asked also. hth

divinecc Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 11:25pm
post #7 of 16

Sangriacupcake Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 1:56am
post #8 of 16

Hey, Divinecc--
Type brown sugar buttercream into this search--it brings up lots of recipes!!!

Good luck icon_smile.gif

divinecc Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 4:19pm
post #9 of 16

I have never heard of that blog search! That is a keeper, unfortunately I experimented on my own last night and need to perfect it tonight! I will let you know the results. Thanks

dherringfarms Posted 27 Feb 2011 , 3:01pm
post #10 of 16

I am also looking for a BC icing that is like a carmel icing. My carmel recipes end up really firm. I need it for Spice cupcakes. Do I add evap milk and brown sugar to the BC? Please help

Elenapurton1 Posted 23 Jun 2016 , 5:27am
post #11 of 16

Hi there! I may be a bit late but here in the uk we have a golden icing sugar. Have you thought of putting the brown sugar into your blender/coffee grinder? It actually does work! Failing that! Put a teaspoon or so if treacle into your buttercream mix till you get the right flavour.... Done deal, brown sugar buttercream! No different to pre made brown sugar! I make brown sugar at home all the time and NEVER buy it, much cheaper and the same thing!

good luck! 

kakeladi Posted 23 Jun 2016 , 1:46pm
post #12 of 16

Here in the US we have no idea what 'treacle' is :(  

jjsgrl48 Posted 23 Jun 2016 , 5:55pm
post #13 of 16

It looks like Treacle is a blend of molasses.

hep275 Posted 23 Jun 2016 , 6:15pm
post #14 of 16

Hi,this is what wikipedia says treacle is....Treacle is any uncrystallised syrup made during the refining of sugar. The most common forms of treacle are golden syrup, a pale variety, and a darker variety known as black treacle. Black treacle, or molasses, has a distinctively strong, slightly bitter flavour, and a richer colour than golden syrup. 

Makes fantastic gingercake!

Baker Beach Posted 23 Jun 2016 , 10:35pm
post #15 of 16

I have used one very similar to the post from icer101 using brown sugar and it is great-- it almost tastes like chocolate chip cookie dough. I just replaced the brown sugar in the same amount and it worked fine. This type of buttercream is my go-to, but it did take some time to get the process down so be patient. I feel like it was worth it. I have so many pregnant friends who were kind of leary of the Swiss or Italian buttercream (because of the eggs) that I decided to try it. Good luck!

kas2105 Posted 24 Jun 2016 , 4:42am
post #16 of 16

I always make my own brown sugar, too. It's really easy, less expensive than buying it, and tastes better. You just add a tablespoon of molasses to each cup of white sugar, mix it in the mixer or you can do it in a bowl with a fork, but I've actually found that smooshing it together with my hands is faster, and that's it. I would imagine that if you added some molasses to buttercream, it would turn it into brown sugar flavored buttercream. I have to make buttercream tomorrow, I think I'll make a little extra and try adding molasses and see how it turns out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%