Problem With Cracking Cake Balls

Decorating By DebbieMills Updated 23 Feb 2011 , 9:31pm by DebbieMills

DebbieMills Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 5:20pm
post #1 of 9

I am having a problem, after I dip the cake balls and let them sit to cool, about an hour later I look and about 4 out of 10 have cracks in the candy coating?? why??

8 replies
DianeLM Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 5:46pm
post #2 of 9

Cracks are usually caused by cold cake balls being dipped in warm chocolate.

Do you notice there are more cracks in the first few than in the last few? That's usually because by the time you get to the end of the dipping, the balls and the chocolate are closer to the same temp.

Shinersmom Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 5:58pm
post #3 of 9

It also depends on the kind of chocolate. I can take my balls out of the freezer and dip them directly into chocolate bark with no cracks. If I use chocolate wafers for like a chocolate fountain....I have to let me balls warm up before I use it.

DebbieMills Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 5:59pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks, I think that may be the problem. But I thought the balls were supposed to be real cold, so do I make the coating cooler? I have been using the wilton candy melts.

stlcakelady Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 8:51pm
post #5 of 9

Wow...I've never heard of this. I've made many cake balls and have never had this problem. I always freeze my cake balls and only take out 5 or 6 straight from the freezer and into the chocolate...this way my others won't thaw out while I'm dipping those ones. I typically use Dove chocolate and have even used Nestle chocolate chips. Never tried Wilton's.

DianeLM Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 9:00pm
post #6 of 9

The cake balls are supposed to be chilled so they don't fall apart while you're dipping them.

I don't make my cake balls with liquids or icing. I use melted chocolate and flavorings only, so they are pretty dense and can be dipped at room temp.

Maybe if you tell us how you make your cake balls, we can be of more help.

DebbieMills Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 9:24pm
post #7 of 9

Well I make the one with the 1/2 c prepared icing in 1 regular 9x13 cake. I haven't seen a recipe using chocolate. I am trying to make vanilla balls but need to decorate in many colors for a yo gabba gabba party.

stlcakelady Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 9:27pm
post #8 of 9

I use a boxed mix and hardly ever have to use icing with it. I just roll them for a long time in my hands and eventually they get a great consistency and are smooth.

DebbieMills Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 9:31pm
post #9 of 9

Oh I haven't heard of that method. Maybe a good idea because with the icing the cake balls feel a little greasy and maybe the candy is cracking from that? thanks for the idea.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%