Ovens That Don't Require A Hood?

Business By Cascades Updated 23 Feb 2011 , 7:52pm by btrsktch

Cascades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cascades Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 6:07am
post #1 of 6

Does anyone know if there are commercial NSF listed ovens that don't require a hood. I have a hood now but am thinking of relocating to a new space that has an apartment above the storefront. It would be much easier to have an electric hood less oven.

5 replies
Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 7:12am
post #2 of 6

I have never seen one Idk if Jenn Air makes a commercial oven but that might be a good place to start looking.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 9:36am
post #3 of 6

check with your health dept to see what hte requirements are. Since I was a caterer and was dealing with fat in the cooking, I was required to have a hood. I have a friend/baker, who only did cakes with an electric oven (not gas) and his HD inspector did not require him to have a hood.

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 11:39am
post #4 of 6

I was required by the health department to put in a hood (fire supression system) to bake muffins!!! Ridiculous!! Fire inspector got rather mad that health department was trying to mandate fire rules. As Deb said, the hood is for stove top cooking of anything that could catch fire - mostly grease. I could have put in a convection oven and not been required to put in a hood. You might want to check with both the health department and the fire department for local rules.

bellaudreycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellaudreycakes Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 4:40pm
post #5 of 6

yes ask the health and building inspector I am just using a blodgette convection oven and don't need a hood, thank goodness.

btrsktch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
btrsktch Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 7:52pm
post #6 of 6

I have a double convection oven and still needed a hood. So, it varies and like everyone else said, check with both the health and the building inspector.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%