Real Feathers: Should You?...would You?...do You?...

Decorating By Coral3 Updated 23 Feb 2011 , 4:07am by Elcee

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 3:18am
post #1 of 5

Something I've wondered...what do people treat feathers with before they stick them into cakes? Do they even treat them with anything? Is it safe?...I mean, we all know that birds carry salmonella - is it possible that the feathers could contaminate a cake? Lately there seem to be more and more real feathers popping up out of cakes, and I can't help but feel slightly grossed-out, even though looks-wise they can be fabulous. Thoughts?...

4 replies
HaydenSC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HaydenSC Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 3:47am
post #2 of 5

Funny you should ask. A bride today asked about adding ostrich feathers to a cake. The idea kind of grossed me out too. It made me think about eating cake and pulling a feather out of your mouth because you didn't realize it was there. Like a yucky hair! EWWW!

I am going to suggest they have the feathers on the stand. They would make an awesome display gluded to a fabric covered styrofoam dummy.

I suppose you could wrap the ends in something to place them in a cake. I bet a fresh flower water pick holder would hold a feather. It would still creep me out with the thought of part of a feather "sneaking" its way into the icing. icon_eek.gif

KSMill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KSMill Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 3:54am
post #3 of 5

I wouldn't use real feathers. Too much risk. I've see beautiful cakes with feathers, but I would only use the synthetic feathers you can buy and I would still be sure to insert them in a tube to put them in the cake.

ThreeLittleBlackbirds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeLittleBlackbirds Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 3:59am
post #4 of 5

No. I would not use real feathers or even fake feathers on a cake. I agree that they can look really beautiful but it just seems yucky to me. I am a stickler for everything being edible that touches the cake though, so if it were me, I would make the feathers out of fondant, yes it is possible!

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 4:07am
post #5 of 5

I agree, feathers on a cake turn me off. I no longer use fabric ribbon or fresh flowers, either, but those things on a cake don't give me the same "ick" factor as feathers do icon_lol.gif!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%