Starting Up Again.....but Where Do I Start

Decorating By nicksmom Updated 25 Feb 2011 , 2:09am by nicksmom

nicksmom Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 3:14am
post #1 of 4

I used to have so many orders fo r cake and I have my cards etc... but after losing my home and moving and getting a new job among other things over the past yr to yr and a 1/2 I JUST have not bothered putting myself out there on the seen and truely miss it and long to get back into my cakes. any ideas on some good starters or ways to give out free cakes and get some buisness drummed up? please tell me your thoughts icon_smile.gif back to baking

3 replies
m_willford Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 9:15pm
post #2 of 4

I'm sneaky and manage to drop in that I do cakes into as many conversations as I can. It helped to keep cards on me so I can hand them out, they have my website - I consider it my online portfolio - and my contact information. I use webs.com, the basic site is free and you can track stats on it.

I moved about 6 months ago too, and just kept an ear open for any church events I could volunteer the cake or cupcakes for. For instance, our cub scout Pinewood derby, I offered cupcakes with chocolate race car toppers. I'm also doing the cake for our Blue and Gold scout banquet tomorrow, 2 tiers for 60 people, because I'm the webelos leader and our budget couldn't fit in a cake otherwise. So a lot of people are going to see and eat the cake, and hopefully think about me. I was talking about my new toy- a bag of isomalt and a jewel mold- at the eyedoctor, and got an order for a small birthday cake with a jeweled tiara on it, delivered yesterday. I walked in to get my son's glasses fitted and they all said "It's the CAKE LADY!" Score!

Good luck with everything. It's hard to move, and it's hard to break out of your comfort zone to tell people that you sell something. Hope it goes well for you! HTH

cakegirl1973 Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 11:44pm
post #3 of 4

I have been doing cakes for about a year as a side legal business. When I just updated my website, I put a post on my personal Facebook page that invited people to check out my website with a link. I can't tell you how many comments I received on that post saying that they did not know I made cakes. Gotta love free advertising!

nicksmom Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 2:09am
post #4 of 4

thanks girls

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%