Freezing Cakes Question--First Timer Here

Decorating By cakegirl1973 Updated 23 Feb 2011 , 3:49am by cakegirl1973

cakegirl1973 Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 2:21am
post #1 of 5

I am freezing cakes for the first time. I am baking tonight and early tomorrow morning the sheet cakes (that will become kitchen cakes) for a wedding on Saturday. My question is, should I place each cake on a cake board before I wrap the cake in Saran Wrap? Thanks in advance!

4 replies
cherrycakes Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 3:41am
post #2 of 5

Hi! I don't think it's necessary to put the cakes on boards before wrapping in Saran. I think you'd actually get a tighter wrap without the boards. If you're concerned about the cakes cracking (if they're large) just wrap them up and put them on cookie sheets in the freezer.

DianeLM Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 3:44am
post #3 of 5

It's your choice, really. I always put large cakes on boards (not their final destination board) and wrap for the freezer. They'll only be in the freezer for a couple of days, so there's no need to worry about the little bit of air that's trapped inside. I'd worry a lot more about the cake cracking.

cheatize Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 3:46am
post #4 of 5

I always put sheet cakes on boards first. I don't know about your freezer, but I have to balance sheet cakes on top of other stuff in there. Having the board keeps it from breaking on the way from the cooling rack to the freezer and keeps it from breaking while it's freezing.

cakegirl1973 Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 3:49am
post #5 of 5

Thanks so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%