Pixie Dust

Decorating By jlynnw Updated 23 Feb 2011 , 3:25am by joycesdaughter111

jlynnw Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 1:34am
post #1 of 7

can you use pixie dust on ornaments that will be on the cake? I don't think that they would be consummed but that does not mean they won't. I would hate for them to be hazardous. They are listed as non toxic but not FDA approved. Also, can you use pixie dusts for competition?

6 replies
chefjess819 Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 1:57am
post #2 of 7

if you are going to put in on an actual cake (not a dummy cake) and there is a possibility that it might be consumed, i wouldn't use it. i would go with either the luster dust or disco dust that is specifically made for cakes. about the competitions, i would check with the comps guidelines so you aren't disqualified because of it. HTH!

jlynnw Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 2:02am
post #3 of 7

I have rainbow disco dust. I was told it is all the same just different names. I can not find any of it listed FDA approved just non toxic. Elmer's is non toxic as is playdough, and chalks. I just don't know that it is edible.

chefjess819 Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 2:06am
post #4 of 7

if its the disco dust that is marketed especially for cakes, then i would think it would be edible. i've seen several cakes on here that are covered with it.

Buttercream_warrior Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 2:13am
post #5 of 7

i have consumed lots of cakes with disco dust..i havnt died yet! lol..i dont think its fda approved but they sell it for cakes so im sure its not bad either unless you tip the jar over and just eat it strait..lol..i cant even tell im eating any so im sure its ok.

jlynnw Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 2:32am
post #6 of 7

Yes, it is marketed for cakes, I think I want to say GSA but I can not remember. I bought the luster dust, disco dust, a fondant mold. It is all in the same box, I looked on the site to see if it was FDA approved but it is not listed. I don't have the box or site now. I always have GSA on my history. Thanks for your help!

joycesdaughter111 Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 3:25am
post #7 of 7

Pixie dust is the same thing as disco dust.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%