Help! What Do You Think?

Decorating By Abisnail Updated 23 Feb 2011 , 10:18pm by Abisnail

Abisnail Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 9:58pm
post #1 of 10

I've had a message from someone asking cakes...I have no idea how to reply or price this quote...what do you think...

"Would it be possible for you to make a dozen cupcakes with an assortment of motifs on them please?

We have all decided that cupcakes would be the way to go with a range of things the mean/represent things in Barry's dads life:

3 - Dinosaur (these are for Barry's nephews so they all have the same and cannot fight over them....well that's the plan anyway)
1 - Dad
2 - 2 interlinked wedding rings & the number 33 somewhere
1 - man utd
1 - Mr Grumpy - from the seven dwarfs
1 - 60
1 - Union Jack or St George cross
1 - saw or hammer with a hard hat
1 - Mickey Mouse ears - we are off to Eurodisney

I said i was not sure if you would be able to do all these but if any were a problem then we can have a rethink.

Oh they asked if there can be red somewhere as that is his favourite colour, so maybe do some with red icing maybe?? whatever you think will look best, i will leave it in your very capable hands for any better suggestions"
This is going to take me hours! Not to mention, it'll look awful! Advice please guys?!

9 replies
2508s42 Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 10:03pm
post #2 of 10

as for the red, I would use red papers as the red icing tastes really bad.

I don't think that the design would look bad. She is asking for 12 cupcakes all decorated differently. I think that I would do a jumbo cupcake with the dad on it for a center piece cc, then the others can just go around it in a circle. I think it would be cute, and way more fun than doing the same design over and over. Just be sure to charge appropiately. I would charge $5 each and $7 for the jumbo.

Good luck!

janeoxo Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 10:22pm
post #3 of 10

Definitely go with red cases, that ticks that box with no extra work to you. Yes they will take time but then the customer pays accordingly. You don't have to charge a price for each cake, charge one at one price, one at another and so on, according to the work each one requires.

There is no reason they will look bad, they will all be tied in with the cases for a start off. These are lots of different ones in this display I did and I don't think they looked awful.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1884192

Abisnail Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 1:02am
post #4 of 10

Thank you. you're right, they look lovely! I've done a tower before (in my pics) of varying pinks and toppers but they felt associated with each other... I think I'm struggling to feel inspired by the idea and also because I usually charge £15 for a dozen cupcakes, going by your idea 2508s42, I've quoted her £40. I like the idea of the larger central cake, I think that could work well, I have a nice stand I could lend her that would add to that idea. Well I've also given the option of an 8" round, explaining that she'll get a lot more cake for not a lot more money but she'd have to pick a theme for that. Lets see what she decides. I dread the thought of charging that much for cupcakes! Seems crazy to me! X

m_willford Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 2:04am
post #5 of 10

I don't think $40 is a bad price for all the work she's asking for! A doz cupcakes, all with the same topper/decoration, $15 is good. Because once you've got the decoration figured out, then it's just assembly line. She's asking for 9 different custom designs. Plus the loan of the stand or tower, which you would have to replace if she didn't return it.

The red papers around the cupcakes would definitely tie them all together, love that idea. Maybe with red frosting around the giant cupcake, or red borders around the 8" if she goes that route.

janeoxo Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 9:10am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_willford

I don't think $40 is a bad price for all the work she's asking for! A doz cupcakes, all with the same topper/decoration, $15 is good. Because once you've got the decoration figured out, then it's just assembly line. She's asking for 9 different custom designs. Plus the loan of the stand or tower, which you would have to replace if she didn't return it.

The red papers around the cupcakes would definitely tie them all together, love that idea. Maybe with red frosting around the giant cupcake, or red borders around the 8" if she goes that route.

Be aware its £40 not dollars when you are deciding whether its a good price.

pixiefuncakes Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 9:47am
post #7 of 10

I did something similar for my husbands birthday a few years ago. I did about 18 cupcakes all topped with things that represented him. He absolutely loved it! I tried to keep the colour scheme related to each other and had them on a cupcake stand with a cupcake at the top with his initial.

Abisnail Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 11:21am
post #8 of 10

Yeah, £40 is around $65. You have inspired me though guys, so thanks. I do feel a little more like this could work now. Phew! Lets just see if she wants to pay the price for how long it'll take me.

m_willford Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 9:06pm
post #9 of 10

Ooh, didn't see the pound sign, thought it was dollars. Thanks for correcting me. icon_smile.gif

$65 is a lot for cupcakes, but like I said the first time, you'll be putting a lot of work into these custom toppers that she wants, as well as the cost of the matching papers if you decide to go that route. Good luck with everything!

Abisnail Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 10:18pm
post #10 of 10

She doesn't want them, I'm pretty relieved! She's ordered 12 Micky Mouse ones instead! Much easier!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%