Wires On A Cake???

Decorating By cakelover805 Updated 22 Feb 2011 , 9:09pm by gramof5

cakelover805 Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 8:28pm
post #1 of 6

I am making a cake in the next couple of weeks with wires on the top tier with hearts. Ive heard that you can use straws but isnt the wire still exposed to the cake or do I need to cover the wire with something and then insert it into the straw?? How thick so I do the fondant hearts? Would the fondant be to heavy on the wire? Please help...

5 replies
gramof5 Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 8:49pm
post #2 of 6

You can either wrap the wires in floral tape, or plug one end of the straw with a bit of fondant. As for the thickness of the fondant hearts, you'll need to make a few practice ones in advance to test how long they'll stay on the wires. I make mine fairly thick so that the wire doesn't poke out of the fondant. And here's a trick I learned: make a very small loop on the end of the wire that will be inserted into the heart, dip it briefly in water, then stick it into the fondant heart. That will make the fondant and wire bond. HTH! icon_biggrin.gif

cakelover805 Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 8:52pm
post #3 of 6

oh ok I see.. If I make the hearts thick they wont tip over because they are heavy or will the straw help them stand up?

gramof5 Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 8:59pm
post #4 of 6

The straw will help to hold them up, but the weight of the fondant is a factor. That's why I suggest making a few up a week or two in advance and sticking them into a piece of styrofoam to test how much they'll bend over time. That way, you'll be able to adjust the thickness when you make the ones for your cake.[/list]

cakelover805 Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 9:06pm
post #5 of 6

sounds good thank you for the advise.. I will make a couple to practice on

gramof5 Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 9:09pm
post #6 of 6

Good luck and let us know how they turn out. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%