Hello! A few questions on fondant:
1. Any tips on putting fondant on a square cake? When I have done this in the past, it seemed bulky on the edges.
2. I used Rhonda's MMF & loved it, but mine had lots of tiny cracks in it. Did I add too much powdered sugar? Should I add more corn syrup to it or knead a little shortening in?
3. I roll the fondant out in cornstarch, correct?
4. Can I use SMB or cream cheese icing under fondant?
1) Try rolling the fondant thinner
3) people do use cornstarch. Personally I use powdered sugar. Some people prefer Crisco or similar.
4) yes, you can use either of those. Keep in mind though that if your cream cheese frosting recipe needs refrigerating then your fondant may be affected by moisture/condensation.
Thank you Coral3! I used shortening, but I thought maybe that's what caused the cracks.
I was looking, are there any tutorials on CC for covering a square cake with fondant?
The cornstarch could be causing the cracks or at least making the problem worse. I would rub a little shortening into your fondant and use powdered sugar when you roll it.
Thanks for the help!!!!!